Hanging Ceiling Tiles choices

Have a 1970's home, had a hanging ceiling in basement when I moved in, it has probably been there 10 years or so. Many tiles now droop, are missing, are dirty, etc. So I decided to replace them all.

Current tiles are lightweight, flexible and have yellow fiberglass insulation on back. I thought I would go to a solid tile to sort of tighten up the whole ceiling, make up for the support crossbeams that have loosened up over the years.

So I get to Home Depot, and they have multiple choices. I had always thought the panels we did have (flexible) were cheap, however they were the highest priced panel. I wondered if my assumption that puting in rigid panels would improve the ceiling was accurate?? Especially because the non-rigid ones were listed as more sag resistant. That seemed counterintuitive, I was thinking the rigid ones would be less prone to sagging?

Anyway, my choices appear to be:

the cheapest kind, which were rigid, appeared to be made out of cardboard.

Next up was a more rigid, heavier kind which seemed much more durable.

Then Sheet rock kind, said they were for kitchens.

Then the kind I had, If I recall correctly, they were called Clima-plus. I am guessing it means they are better insulated.

Cost is close enough, and my basement is not that big that the cost is not much of a deciding factor, I just want to choose the one that would best rehab that already hanging grid, and be best kid-resistant (balls, heads, hockey sticks, etc) I guess insulation is also an issue, but the basement is not that cold...

What should I consider??? What would you pick??

Reply to
jackjohansson

I hate grid ceilings in homes. Reminds me to much of the office. I would find out what your humidity level is before making any decision. Tiles can sag due to moisture. The sheet rock kind will add a bunch of weight that your grid may not be able to support. Check the thickness of the grid and then find something close and see what it will support. No sense in buying packages of tile and having them come down in the night.

As for the insulation it is just as easy to get unfaced insulation and cut it to fit each panel.

4 inches of insulation will cut down on the noise traveling up from your dungeon.... (humor)

Kid proof/resistant your joking right?

Spray paint the grid before you put in the new tiles. If you prep well it should look like an new installation when your done.

You will need a laser level to check the ceiling for level

Reply to
SQLit

You may want to consider solid vinyl tile. There are several manufacturers. All fiber tile will sag with humidity and show scratches and stains. The pvc tiles cost a bit more, but are washable and should not sag.

Here is one:

DanG