Hanging a sign

The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.

He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8 inch poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering. In any case, it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.

My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to simply locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall (tilt-up concrete building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure it while the LN sets.

Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?

Thanks, Sparky

Reply to
SparkyGuy
3M double stick tape. I can't remember the letters, something like HDEP.
Reply to
DanG

Just make sure you can legally hang the sign in the area where your shop is.

I did a friend a favor a few years ago by helping him hang a sign on the side of his building and up came a city inspector was not happy with us because my friend did not pull a permit. :-(

Reply to
Moe Jones

If it is an area where freezing happens, make sure that ice can't push the sign off the wall after a few years!

Reply to
PeterD

N. California. Never seen freezing. A few frosts, but it doesn't snow here or freeze regularly.

Sparky

Reply to
SparkyGuy

Good point. I'll mention it to the Boss.

Sparky

Reply to
SparkyGuy

California? Oh my.

You can count on a permit being required, erection by certified, bonded, insured, and annointed sign erectors, such sign being constructed of non-carcinogenic, enviro-friendly, and bio-degradable material. Further, the sign will probably have to be certified as not being within 1000' of a school, church, park, library, public building, or car wash.

What provisions have you made (such as netting) to prevent injury by falling letters?

Then, too, there is the annual license.

Reply to
HeyBub

First question is: Do you care if it falls down?

If that is an issue, I would mount it with screws, bolts with standoffs, or some other mechanical means.

Being exterior, the heat, wind, sun, cold, freeze and thaw cycles, and Murphy's law make it questionable.

That's a heavy piece of signage that could hurt someone. Do it right, because if it falls down, you got legal problems, son.

Just MHO. Do it once, do it right.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The environmental impact study could cost millions alone.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I think polurethane adhesive and some Tapcons would probably do the job.

Reply to
rustyjames

With the risk that if there is water on the restroom floor it will be declared a protected wetlands area, and the entire project, if not the whole building, will be at risk!

Reply to
PeterD

Next year when the boss wants the sign changed, you're gonna be in a world of hurt.

Use some kind of screws and anchors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, does it snow or freeze irregularly? How many times does it have to freeze to cause the sign to fall down?

Reply to
mm

stucco is a drag to drive anchors into they wont hold that great

instead of doing it wrong maybe you should ask the sign person I am sure they have had enough call backs to know exactly what to use the first time.

Reply to
<moo

it&#39;s called vhb tape, and won&#39;t work for stucco.

charlie

When we owned a sign shop we would mount the signs, if the customer paid us to mount the sign, in one of a number of ways; based on what the customer wanted and was willing to pay for.

First thing up is we would use 6 screws to mount this size sign (never use a 2x4 when a 2x6 does just as well). The screws would be mounted, top, bottom and side, 4-5 inches in from the edges. So in your case there would be three along the top and three along the bottom.

We would use, again depending on costs, some form of stand-off, usually about an inch or so, depending on the mounting surface. The rougher the surface, the longer the stand-off; initiallly. You can use washers but we would use a solid plastic rod material. We would cut the rod down to the size we needed and then drill a hole through the center of each stand-off. The sign would be attached to the wall through the stand-offs.

To attach everything to the wall, we would use 2"-3" Tapcons.

If we screwed through the face of the sign, we would use small circular pieces of the same material used to form the letters of the sign and then apply these circular pieces over the screw heads; to hide them and make it "look like" the circles/dots we designed in.

Other additional cost items, which did improve the look of the sign...

We would screw the stand-offs to the wall first (after making the proper measurements and leveling things, of course). Then we would apply a piece of double-sided tape to the back of the sign in each upper corner to form an "L-bracket". To this tape we would stick some soft and light wood, like balsa wood. This wood would then allow us to "hang" the sign on the stand-offs while we made any minor adjustments (hopefully NOT). Then remove the sign, apply some quick- setting epoxy to the face/front/top of the stand-offs and then re "hang" the sign pressing it into the epoxy while the epoxy setup. After a few minutes or so, the epoxy cured enough that we could stop pressing the sign and then remove the wood and tape from the back of the sign.

Another extra cost item was we would pre-paint the stand-offs to match the color of the wall the sign was mounted to. This allowed the stand- offs to disappear and aloow the sign to appear as though it were "floating" of the surface of the wall.

As for how much to stand-off the sign from the wall... In our situations, we did not need to worry about "code". If the sign was legal where it was to be mounted, we just made sure there was enough room that anything that got behind the sign would not get caught, yet close enough to discourage birds from nesting and to allow the sign to "look good".

HTH

Reply to
GreenGA

Thanks, GGA. Lots of good ideas here.

In your experience, do your customers typically pull a building permit for such a sign? (Note that I&#39;m not asking if they *should* pull a permit...)

Thanks, Sparky

Reply to
SparkyGuy

in my location, there are large fines for not doing so. one also requires a license to keep it there, and there are size and location limitations.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

try something like this

to install, and very secure.

Not to mention safe!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The double-sided tape was used on the back of the sign to which we mounted the wood. This allowed us to "hang" the sign from the already- attached-stand-offs temporarily.

Reply to
GreenGA