Hanging a pot rack

I am going to make and hang a pot rack. I estimate the finished product will weigh 40#. Plus the weight of the pans, probably another 50#.
I want to hang it by making saddles that span two trusses. They are on 24" centers. The length of the rack would be about 4 ft. The saddles would be put on top of the trusses in the attic, and they would be long enough so that they stretched from truss to truss.
Anyone done this? Any help would be appreciated.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net says...

forward.
Start by marking and drilling your attachment points in the ceiling from below. Drill 5/16" holes. Will need a helper to hold the rack in position while you mark.
Assuming you'll have four attachment points, use four 2x4s on edge to span the trusses (using four allows for each to be adjusted to the correct location). Cut them a bit longer than 24" (32-36" should be fine) so they can be set at an angle if need be, and to allow for final adjustments.
Drill a 5/16" hole thru the 2x4s. If you want the mount to be extra strong, drill it in the vertical dimension (the 3 1/2" dimension). Finding the appropriate location may require a plumb bob. Use 1/4" threaded rod, nuts, and washers to make your drop thru the ceiling and attach the rack. There's no need to attach the 2x4s to the trusses (assuming you're setting them on the horizontal portion of the truss).
Snug the rack up to the ceiling from the _attic_ side to prevent excess thread from showing at the rack. Avoid over- tightening to the point of crushing the ceiling material.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Well said, Mark. At 40#, each all thread will carry +/- 10#, I think the 2x4's in the flat will be sufficient. You could use Unistrut if that were easier to come by or work with.
says...

Mormons don't do pot.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

like hell they don't they live off the land ...don't they?
how 'bout some peyote?
No peyote, either.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

Thank you for caring enough to do it right. Doubt that you will ever have a problem. At customer insistence and with waiver of liability I have hung several of these using nothing more than the plant hooks sold at Wally world, supported just by the drywall (3/16" toggles). I really hated doing it but I have had no call-backs. I have even been back in the homes as much as a year later and observed no problems.
Go ahead and do it right.
--
Colbyt
Remove " stopspam." from the email address to reply via email