Hanging a heavy object

Boss received a 7' diameter, 175 lb antique ship's wheel for his 50th birthday, now wants me to hang it on the wall in his office about 3 ft off the floor. Walls are 5/8" drywall over 16 ga metal studs. Any ideas how to do this?

Reply to
justdave1

take some 2 aby 4 's and make a frame or stand for it and then its weight will be supported by the wood and the anchor bolts will hold this contraption against the wall.... the wall along will not support this with the metal studs... if he insist then ask him if you can take out an insurance policy on him as its gonna fall sooner or later and maybe hit hit.....

Reply to
jim

Make a nice base, or one that is almost invisible. Use the base or bipod or whatever to support the weight. Then use the wall to anchor to prevent tipping.

Or just tell him that it is "outside your area of expertise" and suggest he call a contractor.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Attached to ship, anchored with an anchor and pier...

... Sorry - couldn't resist ;-)

My suggestion:

See if there are building plans at local municipal office where the building permit was obtained.

Study the plans for feasibility of tearing out gypsum and replacing metal studs with wood ones.

Add single or doubled 2 X 8 or 2 X 10 blocking between the studs, support blocking to the floor with trimmer studs like they use to support headers over doors and windows in home construction, MARK THE LOCATIONS and height or make reference measurements to them so you will be able to find them, then install new gypsum boards.

refinish the wall.

Install the wheel through the new wall board into the blocking, on hindsight - evaluate how you will do this first and if prudent, pre-install bolts into blocking so they will protrude through the wall.

THEN take the other posters advice and get insurance on the boss...

(please don't take the above seriously without consulting an architect first )

Best,

Stephen Kurzban

  • * * Hitting send message against my better judgment ... * * *
Reply to
Stephen Kurzban

Note that if it's seven feet in diameter, it must cross at least three studs, and possibly as many as six, depending on stud spacing and placement of the wheel with respect to the studs. Even with studs on 24" centers, it should be possible to place the wheel so that it crosses four studs. This will place a load of less than 45 pound on each stud; if the studs are on 16" centers, the wheel can be placed so that its weight is supported by six studs, a load of less than 30 pounds per stud.

This doesn't seem excessive to me.

[snip a couple good suggestions]

Ummm.... 7 + 3 = 10. Where did the other four feet come from?

Doug Miller

Just curious how you did your math here. 7 + 3 = 10', and that would make it touch the ceiling. If you assume it would be centered, that would make it 7 + 6 = 13'. Where did you get 14'?

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer
7 foot diameter steering wheel , I call it a TROLL wheel , for 12 foot trolls, or idiot answers
Reply to
mark Ransley
7 foot wheel haaaa haaaaa 12 ft sailor haaaa haaaaa16 ft troll haaa haaaa
Reply to
mark Ransley
50 lb . fish line just as he caught you ,, 7 ft. tall, 3ft off the floor, = 10 ft minumum
Reply to
mark Ransley

A 7 ft wheel ? 7 ft troll..

Reply to
mark Ransley

Thanks for all the replies.

Ceiling is 11' throughout our office area - top of wheel is 1' below ceiling; bottom is 3' above floor.

I think I'll go with the suggestion of the poster who recommends re-framing the wall with wood and will take that approach, as ducking a problem (getting a contractor) always seems like the lazy approach to me (everything's easy once you know how). Now all I need is a source for some heavy duty brass or bronze hardware to actually hang this monster. Any ideas? I'm thinking thick and polished hooks. According to my sailor boss, blocking the shaft hole in the middle diminishes the appeal - I have to hang it by the spokes.

Dave

Reply to
justdave1

Having read all the current replies, 3 or 4 toggles bolts with a suitable bracket of some form will support this dead, static weigh with no problem. I have hung at least that much weight on 4 toggles before. The problem is finding something with eye appeal that will grasp the spokes. Post a picture somewhere. and link to it.

Reply to
Colbyt

Only one suggestion. Never, EVER, sit near it.

steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Because one would want slightly more space above the object than below it.

The original poster says this will not be done. It probably will be redone to get it this way because it will look unappealing to the eye.

Reply to
peter