Hanging a door

A bear ripped the door to our shed in half. It was cheap T11-1 (?) fiberboard. I got 5/8" B/C (?) plywood to replace it. Also got some new 1x4" fer trim and new 2x4" for reinforcement. My question is, should I mount all the other lumber on the door prior to hanging or can I add the trim/etc after hanging? I'm afraid the former is the proper answer cuz of weight, but will make one-man (me!) hanging more difficult. Any tips?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Dog kibbel and a small freezer. That's all gone, as is the bear which was trapped an put down.

nb

Reply to
notbob

nb For future, Clad the door with sheet metal or aluminum and hook up to a fence charger. This sure cured raccoons for me. WW

Reply to
WW

Yikes!

A 44. magnum is cheaper.

nb

Reply to
notbob

To give you a serious answer, better to do it before, but for a shed make your life simple.After is almost as good.

Assuming you are building a new door, make the frame about one inch smaller than the finished size on all except the hinge side(s). This will allow you to trim at install or later if needed.

Using truss plates at the 4 corners, along with diagonal bracing and you may never need to trim it.

Reply to
Colbyt

Why do you want to hang the door. What did the door do to deserve to be hung? Seems to me the bear is the one who should be hung. But if you do hang the bear, be sure to use a very heavy steel cable because the bear will chew right thru a rope. Even if you decide to hang the door, you should know that in the United States it's illegal to do a hanging without a court order. The judge has to sentence the criminal to be hung. It dont seem to me the door did any criminal activities, so I doubt a judge will find it guilty and sentence it to a hanging.

Contace law enforcement before you do anything further or YOU might be the one who is prosecuted and possibly even hung.

Reply to
nitedweller