Hang projector on drywall ceiling

Not sure if this is the correct group for this. I want to hang a front-end projector over drywall ceiling. I am not sure what is the best way to do this. The projector is 16 lbs. I do not have crawl space above the room so it needs to be done from the room itself. Can just putting 4 screws be safe for this? Thanks Jai
Jai wrote:

I am not sure what a "front-end projector" is but I don't like the idea of hanging anything from drywall over my head, even if it is just 16 lbs. Find a joist and screw it into that.
I am guessing you will also need to supply it with power of some sort and maybe a data feed. It will sure look a lot better if you hid this stuff above the ceiling and not on it. Do you have the skills to do that? If no why not have someone do it right.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

You want the mount plate to cross 2 joists, if possible. If you have 24" OC trusses or something, you may have to mount a hunk of plywood up there (buried in the drywall if you are fussy), and hang the projector from that. Most installs I have seen also have a safety cable, in case the mount comes undone, like when there is a roomful of kids or football fans jumping up and down. There are also power and data cable runs to deal with, which almost require at least head-sized access to the attic space, at least on one end of cable run, to throw the tennis ball with the string that you snag from the other end.
Seriously, it may be worth paying the local AV company to do the install. They have the tools and the experience. Along with mounting, you also have to calibrate it to get the picture looking right. Unless your projector has built in test patterns, that can be long and frustrating.
aem sends....
: Not sure if this is the correct group for this. I want to hang a : front-end projector over drywall ceiling. I am not sure what is the : best way to do this. The projector is 16 lbs. I do not have crawl : space above the room so it needs to be done from the room itself. Can : just putting 4 screws be safe for this? : Thanks : Jai
Check out www.avsforum.com and the digital projectors forum, there should be some people there that could answer your question. Personally I prefer the older crt projectors. Imagine having a 175 lb projector bolted to your ceiling.
We have 10 pound plants hanging from a single screw, but they go into the ceiling joist. So, 16 pounds on 4 screws is nothing, but the screws need to go into the ceiling joists. Since the holes in your projector are not likely to fit exactly you will need a bridge of wood or metal to attach the project to and then attach the bridge to the ceiling joists. You can easily make it removable by screwing plant hanger screws into the ceiling joists and then unscrew the hanger hooks and use then as the nuts to hold a metal/wood framework.
Jai wrote:

Jai wrote:

I would post the question in this group news:alt.home-theater.misc There is a regular poster there that installs home theater systems for a living.