Handyman rates

Page 3 of 3

Depends on what's to be done. So, this guy charges as much to rake leaves as he does to fix a HVAC?
I weld. I charge $50 an hour. Cash.
Steve
Tarty wrote:

I charge between $25 - $50/ hr. depending on the work done.
Before you hire anyone, you should always ask for references.
I have been in the home repair business 21 years and no one has ever asked me for references.
How much are you guys marking up materials? I add 20% to materials.
I also have an A$$ Hole rate that can easily surpass $50.00 per hour. If someone has shit all over their toilet and I have to work in their bathroom it goes to $75.00+ per hour. If its just too gross we walk.
I was doing some painting at a clients home once and her dogs pissed and shit all over my canvas drop cloths. I left them there when we were done with the job. I added the cost of new drops onto her bill, which she never questioned. A month later she called me and asked if I was ever going to pick up my old drops. I told her no because of the dog mess and I mentioned that she had already bought me new ones. She says, OH I did??? Me = he he he.
I have never advertised and seldom have business cards unless things slow down like right now. I like to get my customers face to face or by word of mouth. With the economy now I have been handing out business cards and putting the word out that I need work. People are only fixing the things most important to them and not decorating type things right now. I have come up with enough work to carry us until January. I looked up handyman services on craisgslist for the Phoenix area and there are up 200 ads per day. I wonder if any of them get any work?
cm

Yabbut a lot of them are derelicts and fugitives. Referrals are best, and as you know, they are slow now. The that's the gravy jobs. People who pay and appreciate good work and tell friends. Yeah, I had Ahole people, but most only got a proposal.
Know whut uh mean, Vern?
Steve
"SteveB" wrote

Grin, we get great work from local folks. Our fav handyman charges 'by the job' and likes to take his sweet time which suits us just fine. Last job was to replace yet another door with a prehung one. His rate is 50$ plus door and supplies. Now, we both know thats silly. So, we fed him and tipped him an extra 100$.
I always offer food and even adapt to the workers needs of low salt, or 'no pork' etc. Don and I both are good cooks. We are well known for taking care of the workers and I don't mean just a few sodas.
We are negotiating with the team that did a partial job on our wood fences (we could not afford the whole job so they patched some last fall). Part of the deal is that I make up a big batch of my pulled BBQ pork with enough they can all take home plenty for their kids and family ;-). Told'em my one quibble point is I am a bit challanged just now on tupperware stuff so they gotta bring some.
Offer up now is all they can eat (6 guys plus the boss) plus 3 lbs each to take home. It's hilarous as they counter offered to reduce the BBQ if I make lots of fresh bread and sides. My counter to that was one of the guys needs to loan us a coffee maker (we dont have one) so we can keep hot chocolate or hot tea running to the workers, and we added if they also want coffee, we need 2 of them loaned so one can have nice fancy stuff (we have a grinder). Now, they are quibbling coffee types but seem to have settled on my mixed kona and vanilla bean.
So, in addition to a good rate and very high quality work, we are having a bit of fun negotiating the side items they know I'd do anyways! (I know the rate is reduced, but not so much that they arent making money which is fair to both of us).
BTW, I know this team. One of the fellows doesnt do pork due to religion so he's getting a special dish I devised that is like pulled pork, but made of turkey legs. It's easy to make a little side crockpot for him and in fact, it's every bit as good as the pork dish. Just costs a tiny bit more time to make.
Umm, somehow I never seem to have problems getting workers to come and match my schedule ;-) These fellows are being patient with my finances and waiting til January and having fun with us in the meantime. Since I know them and am Xmas aware, we are paying 50% in advance on 15DEC. I wont have the rest til 15Jan but they slated us for right after New Years and will be happy to wait for the rest til the 15th.
Why the long post? Because s many do not realize a good relationship with a contractor is built on trust and over time. The fence folks got me as a referral from another contractor as good folks ;-)

are always busy. The good customers always get a fair price and the best workmanship.

I'm willing to pay $65/hr for someone with specialized skills and from whom I only need two hours of work.
For non-skilled work, you can hire HS students for $10/hr, but be prepared to supervise. Make sure you have an Umbrella policy on your homeowners insurance in case the kid gets injured.
This past summer I paid a HS student $20/hr because he had a pickup truck, transported stone to my house, took yard trash to the dump, and accepted one hour for delivery and one hour for the trip to the dump. Plus there was a lot of heavy lifting.
Dick

I know pretty much zip about heating systems. I've always had a bad feeling about anyone who does heating work and it's not their advertised and licensed profession. Stories of CO2 deaths occurring because of oddball ventilation things. I guess insisting on an inspection upon work completion would minimize risk...providing the area even has an inspector...a competent one.

In my experience and area, $35 per hour for licensed, bonded contractor, $25 for the alternative.

Where's your area?
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Western New York.
You would have to have extremely low overhead to operate a business on those rates. $25.00 hr might equal $200 per day if you have no down time. - $10 - $20 for gas, $10 - $15 for your truck payment and wear and tear, Tool upkeep $2.00 per day. then add in the cost of bookkeeping, sick days, vacation days, liability insurance, health insurance,taxes. hmm not much left of your $25.00 per hour.
$25.00 to $35.00 is a waste of your time unless you are just in business to fight boredom. IMHO
Heck.... I'm going to raise my rates to $45.00 starting today. Thanks for the nudge.
cm

cm wrote:

I know how to do most of it, but I'll never get around to it. What has put me off looking again is the sour experience I had with the trades I brought in here when I first bought the place, for the urgent stuff. Several of them, I had to walk them through how something was done. Others (electrician, plumber) either botched the work or lied to me and said they had inspected stuff that I found out several months later they hadn't even gotten near. Plumber got pretty cranky when I called him back the third time to fix a leaky elbow on the water softener feed. Nothing complicated, good access, new parts. Given a torch, which I didn't have, I could probably have fixed it myself, and I have sweated maybe 5 joints in my life. Electrician (a local name company) said they had inspected ALL the wiring, but when I got in attic a couple months later to figure out how to rewire bathroom, I found an open junction box with multiple loose connections, such that when I touched one wirenut to look in the bottom of the box, several of them popped off. I could go on, but you get the idea.
I have no heartburn with $35-50 an hour for a skilled pro that will get in and get out, and do a competent job. But I don't wanna pay those rates for someone that has equal or fewer skills than I do.
-- aem sends...

If a guy would just come in, and work at a steady rate, that would be good. But they seem to slow down, getting less done each day. Then everyone starts getting antsy, and the comments about how long you worked last week, and if this is really enough money for this skill or that .............
Steve

I weld. I don't take the padlock off the container for less than $50. Unless she's purty.
Nah, I do barter, and do favors, but I keep close track of those, too as some neighbor's and relative's math is horrible. When bartering services, full value for full value. But lots of times, people have given me more in goods than I would have charged them in money.
$2 a day tool upkeep? You can't buy a small box of nails for that hardly. In today's world, $25 an hour will barely buy you a good new hammer. And have you looked at nailguns and compressors? And brake jobs? Lunch is $5 to $10. Don't forget travel time.
I agree with you. If we ain't talking real money, I'd rather be napping or fishing.
Steve
Sc-online
BRIEF NOTE ON COMPANY PROFILE
Ours is one of the Engineering consultancy organizations. We have with us Architects, Structural Engineers, Public Health Engineers, and M&E Engineers. Our in-house services include architectural, structural engineering, electrical design, fire fighting, Centralized solar system for commercial use, etc.
Our constant Endeavour has been to produce innovative solutions at economical costs. Our attempts to create aesthetically pleasing and structurally challenging buildings have been quite successful.
We are well experienced in designing all types of structures including designing and large span structures using hi-tech construction methodology.
We offer full fledged consultancy services and our integrated approach to problem solving enable us to always provide the best solution to our clients.
We would like to mention here that we are capable of handling projects of any type and magnitude anywhere in the world, as we are fully equipped.
We are well experienced in the design and construction management/ supervision of large projects.
Sajay,
If you charge less than $40 per hour please stop by my place. I need some work done my own house.
cm
[...]
Tarty wrote:

[...]
Saw a story once about a young lady with an apartment in New York. She made friends with a single guy in the same building that had a tool kit. When she needed something done, she offered to trade a home-cooked meal for the repair. Their mental dialogs went something like:
She: "He's a miracle worker! He can put up a towel rack so it won't fall down and all I have to do is throw a couple of extra potatoes in the pot!"
He: "She's a miracle worker! For a couple the right kind of fifty-cent molly bolts, I get a delicious rack of lamb dinner!"
Then they had sex.
HeyBub,
I have only been propositioned once on the job and that was by a 75 y/o women. I was 40 at the time. I passed. My wife laughed.
cm

Better snag the bottle of vegetable oil on the way back to the BR.