Handyman rates

"cshenk" wrote in news:hpJWk.10096$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.iad:

Coincidental that today I was up in the attic making some final connections to some wiring I recently ran. Had my ass wedged in a web- chord with a foot on one cord and knee on another 24" away. I'm thinking some day I just ain't gonna be able to do this shit. At 55, I'm wondering if that's 1, 5, 10 years from now. I guess when I come through a ceiling or the like, I'll know it's time.

Reply to
Red Green

"SteveBell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

?? Does that mean new construction carpentry and repair of old carpentry? Is that all that it covers? I mean like what if you did some associated plumbing and water damage occured because of a failure of materials or workmanship?

Or does the policy also cover if say you strictly do some electrical stuff and it results in a fire?

Just curious.

Reply to
Red Green

Red Green wrote in :

The carpentry/repair is my description for an unusual type of coverage for repair of old stuff and creation of new, and my agent had to go with Lloyds of London to find it. As a handyman, I do lots of different kinds of stuff, and most insurance companies wanted to do fifteen different policies instead of just one. The landscaping part costs less than $100 a year, and the other coverage is about $1000.

I don't have plumbing or electrical licenses (or any other kinds of licenses), so I'm prohibited from doing anything that requires a license--by insurance coverage as well as by law. I can repair a sink or install a faucet, but I can't run the pipes. I can install a ceiling fan, but I can't run a new wire to the junction box.

As I understand it, my errors and omissions insurance covers pretty much any damage I might cause, as long as I didn't do it on purpose, or in a way that I should have known better as a professional, or it's something they specifically exclude like asbestos remediation or lead paint removal.

I just renewed it after a two-week lapse, because my insurance company didn't send me a notice. Lloyds sent the notice to Brooks Insurance corporate in Kansas City, and corporate didn't forward it to my local agent. This was the second year in a row. That problem shouldn't recur, since my agent is no longer affiliated with Brooks Insurance, seeing as how they're going out of business. Lloyds will now send the notice directly.

Reply to
SteveBell

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :

The thing is, I see ads where people claim they're bonded. A locksmith comes to mind. Is that a person bond that's somehow different from insurance?

I think I'll do OK there. The FBI didn't have any trouble giving me a clearance when I was a computer weenie for a military contractor. :-)

Reply to
SteveBell

Does Brooks Insurance have Affirmative Action employees?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What is so poor about the analogy? People buy electrical and plumbing supplies every day and do their own work with no license. Some of these people are rather talented, others are dumb. Most people that have a license are competent, a few others not so.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

AFAIK, it is a type of insurance. Locksmiths have the ability to make a spare key to your house, possibly your security system, safe, etc. . Obviously, you have to be able to trust them a bit more than a plumber fixing a faucet. I guess you are insuring your honesty.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A local company advertises: "We repair what your husband fixed"

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In my experience and area, $35 per hour for licensed, bonded contractor, $25 for the alternative.

Reply to
KLS

????? What a weird question.

Reply to
KLS

Sc-online

BRIEF NOTE ON COMPANY PROFILE

Ours is one of the Engineering consultancy organizations. We have with us Architects, Structural Engineers, Public Health Engineers, and M&E Engineers. Our in-house services include architectural, structural engineering, electrical design, fire fighting, Centralized solar system for commercial use, etc.

Our constant Endeavour has been to produce innovative solutions at economical costs. Our attempts to create aesthetically pleasing and structurally challenging buildings have been quite successful.

We are well experienced in designing all types of structures including designing and large span structures using hi-tech construction methodology.

We offer full fledged consultancy services and our integrated approach to problem solving enable us to always provide the =91best=92 solution to our clients.

We would like to mention here that we are capable of handling projects of any type and magnitude anywhere in the world, as we are fully equipped.

We are well experienced in the design and construction management/ supervision of large projects.

Reply to
Sanjay

KLS wrote in :

Where's your area?

Reply to
SteveBell

I have been in the home repair business 21 years and no one has ever asked me for references.

How much are you guys marking up materials? I add 20% to materials.

I also have an A$$ Hole rate that can easily surpass $50.00 per hour. If someone has shit all over their toilet and I have to work in their bathroom it goes to $75.00+ per hour. If its just too gross we walk.

I was doing some painting at a clients home once and her dogs pissed and shit all over my canvas drop cloths. I left them there when we were done with the job. I added the cost of new drops onto her bill, which she never questioned. A month later she called me and asked if I was ever going to pick up my old drops. I told her no because of the dog mess and I mentioned that she had already bought me new ones. She says, OH I did??? Me = he he he.

I have never advertised and seldom have business cards unless things slow down like right now. I like to get my customers face to face or by word of mouth. With the economy now I have been handing out business cards and putting the word out that I need work. People are only fixing the things most important to them and not decorating type things right now. I have come up with enough work to carry us until January. I looked up handyman services on craisgslist for the Phoenix area and there are up 200 ads per day. I wonder if any of them get any work?

cm

Reply to
cm

Yes, it is considerably different.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You would have to have extremely low overhead to operate a business on those rates. $25.00 hr might equal $200 per day if you have no down time. - $10 - $20 for gas, $10 - $15 for your truck payment and wear and tear, Tool upkeep $2.00 per day. then add in the cost of bookkeeping, sick days, vacation days, liability insurance, health insurance,taxes. hmm not much left of your $25.00 per hour.

$25.00 to $35.00 is a waste of your time unless you are just in business to fight boredom. IMHO

Heck.... I'm going to raise my rates to $45.00 starting today. Thanks for the nudge.

cm

Reply to
cm

Sajay,

If you charge less than $40 per hour please stop by my place. I need some work done my own house.

cm

BRIEF NOTE ON COMPANY PROFILE

Ours is one of the Engineering consultancy organizations. We have with us Architects, Structural Engineers, Public Health Engineers, and M&E Engineers. Our in-house services include architectural, structural engineering, electrical design, fire fighting, Centralized solar system for commercial use, etc.

Our constant Endeavour has been to produce innovative solutions at economical costs. Our attempts to create aesthetically pleasing and structurally challenging buildings have been quite successful.

We are well experienced in designing all types of structures including designing and large span structures using hi-tech construction methodology.

We offer full fledged consultancy services and our integrated approach to problem solving enable us to always provide the ?best? solution to our clients.

We would like to mention here that we are capable of handling projects of any type and magnitude anywhere in the world, as we are fully equipped.

We are well experienced in the design and construction management/ supervision of large projects.

Reply to
cm

You mean protecting a trade association, labor organization, or special interest, don't you?

Reply to
HeyBub

Western New York.

Reply to
KLS

But concept is quite similar -- it's a spread liability coverage against an adverse event. Only the specific circumstances and some details of the actual operation are different.

--

Reply to
dpb

We are talking about people doing work for others, for profit. Not someone doing work themselves.

BTW, cm was half correct on their statement about the $1,000.

and

Tarty