Handyman rates

Page 1 of 3
I realize rates are different throughout the country, but I was wondering about what rates are in your area.
I recently got a flyer in my paper box. This person advertises, HVAC, electrical, & plumbing, among a host of other services. Some of the things missing in their flyer are key words such as licensed & insured.
In my city, one can get a general license for contracting, you must provide proof of insurance. I know this because some years ago, I used to be a licensed/insured GC. My insurance company used to mail to the different cities, a copy of my $500K liability policy, b/4 the cities would issue a license.
Licensing for electrical, HVAC, and plumbing are totally different from a GC license and are State issued, but these services must be registered with the cities around here. They also must carry additional licenses with the cities in these parts.
Anyways, this person advertises painting, leaf raking etc.
Their rate: $50.00 per hr.
Seems a bit steep for a handyman, even if they were licensed & insured. And surely not enough for a licensed professional.
What's the going rate for a handyman in your area?

"Licensed, Bonded and Insured" is the what you want. $50/hr is about right. I can easily find a general experienced handyman for $20-25 an hour, but no insurance, no license, and not bonded. An illegal alien or a college student is about $10/hr, but that comes with additional risk.

What you need to do is send a copy of that off to your local city building and state. They might be interested in why someone is advertising for HVAC, Electrical & Plumbing but doesnt have a state license for any. Im sure they would like to see his city occupational license to. Liability insurance would be nice. Bubba
In Arizona you don't need a license for any work under $1000. That includes electrical, plumbing, and HVAC.
cm

I can understand not needing a _permit_ for work under $1000, but no license? That seems like an accident waiting to happen.
Arizona doesn't seemed concerned about protecting their citizens.

No license requirement at all for "handymen" here in upstate NY. I'm not even sure there's a licensing option available for carpenters/handymen. I have a wonderful guy now (after several very, very bad experiences) who is not licensed but is insured. However, he has a licensed electrician and a licensed plumber on his large crew, so things get done very quickly and easily. His company does pretty much everything from one-day repairs to $250,000 additions/remodels. He's done a lot of commercial remodeling, too, and no license is needed.

I should have clarified, or got clarification about questioning the license under $1000 on "CM's" post. One would think electricians, plumbers, & HVAC people should be licensed, regardless of the amount.
I just assumed no license needed for work under $1000, regardless of work. Foolish assumption on my part!

So, do you think they should shut down all the Arizona Home Depot and Lowes stores to protect homeowners from themselves?

I was assuming the poster meant HVAC, electrical, or plumbing work.
Your analogy if comparing to HVAC,electrical or plumbing, is poor at best.
You don't need to go off the deep end Ed. Take a breath, relax.

What is so poor about the analogy? People buy electrical and plumbing supplies every day and do their own work with no license. Some of these people are rather talented, others are dumb. Most people that have a license are competent, a few others not so.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A local company advertises: "We repair what your husband fixed"
TDD

We are talking about people doing work for others, for profit. Not someone doing work themselves.
BTW, cm was half correct on their statement about the $1,000.
http://www.azroc.gov/l_gen.html#general_handyman1
and http://www.azleg.gov:80/ars/32/01121.htm

I wish more states stayed out of private enterprise.
Steve
Tarty wrote:

You mean protecting a trade association, labor organization, or special interest, don't you?
We own a home repair business in Arizona and we charge $40.00 per hour. We are not licensed.
cm

"cm" wrote

Lots of differences depending on area. Here, if you list as a handyman, you can replace a toilet or sink with no plummer license. An electrician can have an assistant who is not licensed (so can a plummer) for those 2 people jobs.
General handyman stuff (put in a new door, replace doorknobs, hang a new sensor on a motion sensor exterior light, fix a panel that fell down on exterior fencing etc) needs no license here. If smart, you make sure they are insured and the ones I use here are small company sorts (sounds a bit like your business) with insurance for their workers if they get hurt. Also a lone handyman who has his own insurance.
My husband and I are getting older, and though we know how to fix things, sometimes we don't have the stamina for them anymore or just cant lift something.

Coincidental that today I was up in the attic making some final connections to some wiring I recently ran. Had my ass wedged in a web- chord with a foot on one cord and knee on another 24" away. I'm thinking some day I just ain't gonna be able to do this shit. At 55, I'm wondering if that's 1, 5, 10 years from now. I guess when I come through a ceiling or the like, I'll know it's time.

I charge $40 an hour, and I'm insured. Texas doesn't require licenses for contractors, but I have what passes for one--I paid a fee with my city that allows me to submit building plans.
I'm not bonded, because my insurance agent says I don't need one. According to her, bonds here are job-specific. In other words, I would post a bond when bidding for a specific job, and I would lose the money if I didn't finish the job according to the contract. It's performance insurance instead of liability insurance.
Anybody have recommendations for me about bonds?
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

A couple of cities around here, used to require performance bonds. They did away with it. I can't remember what I paid for the bonds, but they became renewable each year. They were not much, I'm thinking in the $100 range, for a $100K bond. But you needed a bond for each city which required one.
Now, the only jobs requiring performance bonds are government work.
BTW, your rates seem to be more inline with my thinking. I've been away from contracting for a little over 5 years. The insurance not only protects you, but the homeowner as well. I paid around $600 per year for $500K worth of liability. Thank the good Lord above, I never had to check to see if it was any good!
My licenses fees ranged from $150 to $175 per year, depending which city I renewed in. I licensed each year in 5 different cities. There were a couple cities which demanded bank references. To me it was a tad much, but I understood they wanted to protect their citizens, and it was game you had to play, if you wanted to be licensed in their city.

I just renewed my insurance, a combination of carpenter/repair and landscaping, and I paid $1,200 for two megabucks of liability coverage. I do occasional subcontract finish carpentry for a local contractor, and he requires that level of coverage, because that's the level he has. Insurance companies want everybody covered at the same level, apparently.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement