Handyman Price?

When they use the term "handyman" I'd say they are talking about a one man operation without all the MAJOR overhead mentioned above. Not a Contracting COMPANY that does. The local jack of all trades guys here get $ 25/hr..plumbers @ $ 35

Rudy

George E. Cawthon wrote: > As for labor costs, realize that $75 and hour translates into $150,000

$75/hr does NOT translate to a $150,000 salary. People need to quit equating a charged rate with hourly wages. They aren't equivalent. I don't do home repair, but am self-employed.

  1. It's fairly difficult for someone doing work onsite to get a full
2000 hours directly billable to customers/clients. You can work "full-time" and still not get 2000 hours on invoices, especially if jobs are running 2 hours each. If you think you're going to get four 2-hour jobs into 8 hours, you're dreaming.
  1. Self-employed people and business owners get to pay for things that an hourly wage employee do not and that all comes out of the gross. I get to pay for *both* sides of Social Security and Medicare (the matching portion of that deduction on the paycheck) or pay the 15% self-employment tax. I have to pay an accountant, lawyer, etc. for business-specific services that I never needed doing the same work as an employee. I also get to pay for health care directly, with no employer subsidization or group rates.
  2. Self-employed people get to deal with the ups and downs of economic cycles and seasons FAR more directly than employees do. How many screen doors does a handyman install in January in Minnesota? How about July? If the work is seasonal (deck staining, personal income taxes, etc.), there may only be 5-6 months out of the year to earn money to keep going the rest of the year. There's no unemployment the rest of the year when you're self-employed.

One of the biggest mistakes people make when going from employee to self-employed is to just take their currently salary x 2000 hours and that's their new rate. They then find out, that for their industry, November to February is completely dead and they only make 25% of what they make in "normal" months. Suddenly, they've taken a paycut even though they're "making" what they did as an employee.

Last, and most importantly, price is not a function of cost (what it cost the handyman to do the work), but rather of demand. If he's busy enough (and his definition applies, not yours) at $75/hr, then that's in perfect balance with supply and demand. If not, he'll end up lowering his rates to get enough work.

Recently, I had more work than I had time, so I raised my rates. I raised them again when there wasn't any change. Eventually, I raised them until I had the right amount of work to match my "supply" of time. If I decide to cut back to half-time or any other supply reduction, the same thing will apply.

Reply to
J Wynia

Handyman - a person who does repairs for a specific hourly rate. If at any time, either party is dissatisfied, they can end the deal. Handymen should be licensed in their city/county where they are doing the work.

Contractor - a person who does specified repairs/construction for a preagreed price. If either party is dissatisfied, they can agree a compromise, or turn it over to the State Contractor's Board. A person who contracts is required to have a State Contractor's license.

This includes almost any work where anything permanent is attatched to a house or property.

If a person says, "I'll hang doors for $25 per hour," they are a handyman.

If a person says, "I'll hang two doors for $150, they are contracting," and depending on the state, may be committing a felony. In some states, even OFFERING to do specified work for a specified amount is contracting without a license.

I would request a price adjustment from the men who reamed you on the doors. If you don't get it, file a complaint with the proper authorities so that they are not allowed to run amok among the populace and do this to more people.

When hiring a handyman, if you don't know someone who is moral and honest, or can't find one through a referral from a friend, use handymen services. They cost more, but you are more confident you will get a qualified worker, and if there is a problem, you call them and they take care of it.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Actually, I'd strongly advise you to always pay the bill first. This is likely a home improvement and as such the handyman is entitled to place a mechanics lien on your property and cloud the title and posssible even sell your property at a non-judicial foreclosure on the court house steps. So pay the bill and then complain bitterely to him and the powers that be such as the BBB, Attorney General, etc.

Reply to
JimL

In my state, Nevada, the mere offer of doing a specific job for a specific price constitutes contracting, and is subject to all the laws EVEN IF THE JOB IS NEVER STARTED.

That would be an easy thing to handle. In the first place, they probably won't do that unless they are licensed and reputable and 100% in the right. In order for someone to sell your property, notice must be given, affadavits of mailings, all sorts of things. It is not as easy as you intone.

An inflated baloon has more force than the BBB. Now, the AG, or Contractor's Board is a different thing.

I do it all the time. And when price comes up, I still have the option to take it or refuse it.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

"George E. Cawthon" wrote

You said "My first question would he, who takes 2-1/2 to hang a screen door. " And as one example out of many, the reason could be an out of square opening. Comprehend now? Quit being such a bonehead, you cheap bastard.

Reply to
Shannon

Did you discuss price before the job?

If yes -- you agreed already. If not -- you shoulda.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ahh yes. The flat rate manual. That's how the little boys make money. charge about 1/2 the time as the flat rate manual and still make out like a bandit.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

That's all wonderful basic economics but everyone pays taxes. When you calculate how much a person makes, you don't figure how many deductions they make, their gambling debts, etc. Note that I also said if working full time. I'm glad for you that you can keep increasing your fees and still have plenty of employment. Those less fortunate have to reduce their fees to maintain full employment. All of which has nothing to do with a guy spending 2-1/2 hours at a cost of $150, which without more information, should have taken way less time and way less cost in many parts of the country.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

LOL!

I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "You can afford it. You own your own business!"

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

And you get all that money at the end of the month. If there's any left, that is.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Sure, and everything is a tax write-off.

Another nice feature of owning your own business, you get to work half days. Pick any 12 hours.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:46:45 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" scribbled this interesting note:

12 hours? Is that all you work???

John Willis

And you can take off anytime you want, you make your own schedule.

Reply to
3rd eye

Anyone in the building trades in my area who needs to drop fees to get enough work is doing something seriously wrong.

Reply to
Goedjn

That must be a part time job. Full timers will work more. Plus, you work any day that has a "y" in it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And for half price. When I worked as an independent contractor, state tax, federal tax and social security took 52%.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

was it worth it to you?

personally, for 150$ i wouldnt want 'help'. i'd want to sit back and shout orders from a lawn chair with a cold beer in my hand.

as a side note, its funny to me how quick people (americans in particular) are to comment that someone else is 'overcharging' or 'making too much money' and how this makes them a jerk. yet i expect these same people, in the same situation with the roles reversed, would call themselves a genius for making so much money.

all things in this world are negotiable. if you dont know how to negotiate, thats YOUR problem.

america is going to bury itself alive just to prove it can handle a shovel.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Reply to
patga

I would have questioned him about it at that point.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski