Handyman Club of America

Has anyone ever heard of this club? I received a mailing and it sounds to good to be true. Just wondered if anyone is a member of this club. for $1 a month they send you tools and all you have to do is use them and evaluate them. It's heading for the trash unless anyone is a member of this club and likes it.

Thanks,

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

"JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

This entire post is an opinion.

Run like crazy.

It is a major rip off. They will mail you stuff you did not order and then demand payment. Even when you return stuff they will lose it. Finally you will tell them to sue you if they want to but never to call or write you again.

At least that describes my experience with them.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

A relative bought me a subscription to their magazine, "Handy" a few years ago. IMO it was just another typical home project "how to" magazine oriented towards projects mostly involving wood.

IIRC a lot of the pages were taken up with power tool reviews and comparisons.

They did send me a "free tool" to evaluate, a package with a few of those sponge like sanding pads in various grits. And the user reviews I remember reading were all for small value items like that. I doubt if they ship out too many table saws their readers a free to keep after reviewing.

I resubscribed for one year just for s**ts and grins and then stopped. That was a few years ago, but I'm still on their mailing list and get offers to "rejoin the club" a couple of times a year.

I wouldn't call it a a scam, but I didn't think they were much better or worse than many of the other DIY magazines I've seen.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

It's not worth what you pay. My son (who was under 18 at the time) enjoyed it for a while. Now (at age 19) he subscribes to This Old House and The Family Handyman (which is a Readers Digest publication) and prefers them.

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - take out TRAS

keep the return address labels and use em on your bills, throw the rest in the bin

Reply to
beecrofter

"JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Did you notice the dollar value of tools the sent to the number of members? It comes out to $10 / member. And you can guess that's an inflated value.

I just threw the thing away myself.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Everything you get asks you to become a "life member" for $397. Ignore all that. Then they send you the first book of a seven hundred book series. With the bill! .If you keep it they think you joined. The only way they can get away with mailing you something that they want money for before you order is because you "join" the club when you subscribe. If you want to use them as a resource and can stand the pain go ahead. Just go the HGTV.com instead to learn something.

Dave Scudamore Aroundtoit Handyman

Reply to
DavesTeam

I was a member for a year. I did receive a valuable book entitled "Tools & Skills: Workshop, Plumbing & Wiring". I found the information very handy. The tools sent for testing were nothing to write home about. I still get invitations to join which include free gift- usually a plastic card for measuring drill sizes.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

The magazine used to be fairly decent, but it gets smaller and smaller. I don't know how many of the drill bit guides I have, but I have a drawer full of the flat carpenters pencils they keep sending.

Homer

Reply to
Paul Simpson