Handicap ramp plans

Hi, I need to install a handicap ramp to a house I own. The rise is 19 inches which means I need 19 feet of ramp. Does anyone know where I can find plans on building a ramp that will meet ADA specs? Or at least the specs? I can't find them online anywheres. Thanks Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Guay

this may sound dumb, but did you try the ada?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I have a sketch if you e-mail me

TB

Reply to
tbasc

I think the ADA is actually the Americans with Disabilities Act. When I search I fnd alot of stuff on what happens if you don't comply or the history of the law. However when I search for ramps I find a lot of places seling ramps not many ideas on building them yourself.

Reply to
Jeff Guay

should tell you all you need to know. Keep in mind that the ADAAG requirements do not apply to single-family housing unless built with government funds.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I enjoy helping people, so I try to give good advice. The very fact that you need to build a ramp says that you have had a recent tragic development at your house. I just installed one at my house to accommodate my wife's broken leg, pins, and wheelchair from an auto wreck.

I really resent the little lies of life. " I can't find them online anywheres." DAGS (Do A Google Search) use ADA Ramp.

Choice number 3 is the official .gov site which will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about ADA compliance.

DAGS use handicap ramp choices 4, 5, and 6 give good construction advice on creating ramps.

If you are asking for construction strength and framing suggestions, then do so.

Is this a short or long term ramp? Concrete/wood?

I used 2 x 4 framing with the joists @ 24 o.c. I made 8' modules using 4 x4 posts set in post holes at each 8' joint and coming up

32 above the ramp height. I ran a 1 x6 up each side to create a toe board and I ran 3/4" Wolmanized ply for the deck. Ran a vertical 2 x 6 as a handrail extending above the posts. Mine is short term but safe. I happened to have some of those glue on 3M tread strips and it has worked well so far. We have another 1 to 2 months to go.

Wouldn't you know, the other guy had no insurance driving on a suspended license.

Let us know how your ramp develops.

Reply to
DanG

I'm late getting into this thread, but I have one more thing to add to the preceding excellent post: Remember the ADA specs etc. are MINIMUMs, so, for ease of use, go even beyond the slope requirements as far as you have space/money for and you'll be glad you did. The min dims they give are OK, but still require a fair amount of strength, especially if one is to traverse it IN a wheelchair as opposed to someone pusing the wheelchair.

I was lucky and could see my days coming, so I designed and built the ramp myself - it's better than and easier to use than the one down at the local hospital! Only part I couldn't do myself was the posts & cement - luckily had a healthy nephew for those. Followed ADA mins, surpassed them as much as possible. Only problem I noticed is I think the railing height recommendations are too low and the curbing on the ramp should be inset another inch more than spec to prevent pinched fingers. The guidelines are clear, concise, and easy to use. Longevity => cost; keep it in mind when doing the design. My posts had to be 4 ft min into the ground. Lots of work. Do NOT attach the ramp to the house unless it is properly designed/set. I made a micro-porch out of the top landing - yes, you do need a bldg permit for that if you are in a snow area. I think it was

40lb/sq ft here for a roof. You could land a 737 on this one I think! Oh, and make it wider than you need! You WILL need the width sooner or later. And if you can, have it end nearest an entry point for the car.

Pop

Pop

| |

Reply to
Pop

Another consideration is public visibility. The police told my neighbor, after the break in, to put ramps at the rear of the house, out of sight from the street as they advertise an elderly/disabled resident.

Reply to
Kevin

You couldn't find the ADA specs that are titled: "ADA Standards for Accessible Design", right in the middle of the web-page

I don't think a ramp is going to help with your disability.

Hail Eris.

Reply to
default