Handheld cordless vac - NiMH?

Are there any handheld cordless vac models that use NiMH betteries? The ones I've used so far (DirtDevil, DustBuster) all use NiCd, and they had really poor charge capacity - all would run out of steam in 1-2 minutes, even though I'd make sure to charge them for several hours, or even days, prior to use.
cheers

Sounds like you have a problem with your battery management. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-cadmium_battery#Memory_effect
    Una

... "There is controversy about whether the memory effect actually exists, or whether it is as serious a problem as is sometimes believed. Some critics claim it is used to promote competing NiMH batteries, which apparently suffer this effect to a lesser extent. Many nickel-cadmium battery manufacturers either deny this effect exists or are silent on the matter."
Says nothing really.
On Feb 1, 3:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Una) wrote:

Wrong guess, I'm afraid. I've tried using a deep discharge cycle - e.g., leave the vac turned on for the whole day, then, when I got back home that night, I'd turn it off and charge it overnight. That didn't help at all.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Gees. No wonder the batteries didn't charge worth a hoot. First you overcharged them (the number one cause of ruining Nicads, and then discharge them so much that some of the cell probably reversed polarity, which is almost guaranteed to ruin the battery.

That's how they work (or don't work). But, 1 minute is a bit short. 2 to 3 is more typical.
I agree with you and would purchase a cordless that used AA NiMHs since they are so easy to find and inexpensive.

My old Dustbuster runs for plenty of time. I have yet to run it down completely in over 10 years.After 10 years,I finally needed a new battery pack.The local DeWalt service center replaced them. BTW,the cells in the DB pack were designed for continuous charge,so you can leave the DB on the charger when you are not using it.(DigiKey lists NiCd cells for this 24/7/365 application)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 1 Feb 2007 12:57:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

They are designed to run no more than a couple of minutes.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I went to the battery store to have the batteries in my DustBuster replaced. $18 plus tax, ready tommorrow, they quoted.
I went to WalMart and bought a new DustDevil for $17.00.
Your math may vary.

Unless you're planning of vacuuming the entire house with it, 1 to 3 minutes seems entirely reasonable.
Leave Nicads in a constant charger, you burn them out. Discharge them till the motor wont run and you ruin them. Get new batteries and learn how to use them.
On Feb 1, 7:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Can you point me to any research to back this?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in (m Ransley) wrote:

My Dustbuster is SPECIFICALY made to stay on the charger when not in use. He's right about deep-discharge of NiCds,though.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The Dyson Root 6 handheld has as 21.6V lithium ion battery.
-al sung Rapid Realm Technology, Inc. Hopkinton, MA
Well, back to the original question:
Are there any handheld cordless vac models that use NiMH betteries?