Hand tools -- Store with Spring compressed -- or not?

I very seldom use "garden pruners," that's the wife's problem....
But, I was putting away a pair of expensive Swiss pruners that she left on the picnic table this afternoon and I automatically "locked" them in the closed position with the spring compressed.
But, I randomly wondered if that would significantly shorten the life of the spring and if it would be better to store them with the the "jaws open," or uncompressed.
Probably makes so little difference it's not worth considering, but just one of those random thoughts that bug you at times.
Opinions?

Simply as a safety measure I would store them closed and locked.
Charlie

totally, I bought my dad a pair of Swiss (Felco?) made bypass pruners in 1971.
Of course, when he died I got back all the cool tools I bought for him (inlcuding the pruners)
He stored them for nearly 20 years closed & I've stored them closed with no loss of spring force.
So next year they'll be 40 years sold, still working fine with the thin blade replaced in 2005.
Plus they store neater when closed.
cheers Bob

I understand :)