Hand tools

Page 1 of 4
With the advent of Harbor Fright, it seems like expectations in hand tool quality has gone into the toilet. Aside from the freebies (which are, now, no longer free), I think I've purchased a utility knife, some blades for it and some tools to repair a damaged car door (i.e., chunks of shaped metal).
Tonight, I was in need of a tap wrench (Al is just too damn soft to try to tap "by hand"). A friend suggested buying a T&D set from HF -- which had me struggling to contain my laughter (the taps and die don't appear to be properly hardened -- nor the threads "clean"!)
The idea of buying a cheap set just to salvage the T&D wrenches might make sense -- but, even their cheapest set is more expensive than buying "better" parts a la carte.
[As my friend loaned me a tap wrench, my immediate need has been satisfied]
This got me to thinking what other tools I *might* (not *will*!) consider buying from HF. I.e., the "possible buy" list is considerably shorter than the "wouldn't buy" list!
[We'd looked at a drywall lift and I cringed thinking *that* would be holding the sheetrock while I worked BENEATH it!]
Utility knife (disappointed that the blade was retractable; the quality of a non-retractable one would probably have been better!) was small expense and largely disposable. Blades weren't particularly sharp *nor* hard but, again, disposable. Auto body tools are little more than blocks of steel so kinda hard to go wrong, there.
OTOH, I wouldn't put much faith in their power tools -- at least, not as "investments" (note that I don't consider a YEAR to be an "investment"; most of my hand tools are as old or older than I!)
So, the question is, what tools to avoid, consider and criteria used in making those decisions? And criteria to use in "broad brush" dismissals of whole categories of tools?
[E.g., the drywall lift we considered as a "one time use" so didn't mind the "loss" if it broke. OTOH, I wasn't keen on it breaking while I was *under* it! Hence the reason to avoid it.]
Of course, no right or wrong answers, here. I've inherited a fair number of HF discards (jack stands, torque wrenches, etc.) but don't think of them as "cherished" tools...
On 10/19/2015 10:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

I have some of their sockets and open wrenches that aren't too bad. They're in an unsecured tool tube on the bike so if they're ripped off I haven't lost much.
A floor jack spit the lift pad at me the first time I used it. After replacing the rivet it's serviceable. I have an electric impact driver that works. I don't use it very often but for the price, around $50 iirc, it was worth it.
A set of number drills works okay for soft material. C-clamps are hard to screw up. A chain breaker did its job. A tubing flaring tool was utter crap.
Fortunately I can walk to HF during lunch hour and see the stuff first hand. It's too hit or miss otherwise.
On 10/19/2015 11:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

I bought a small chipper shredder there and so far it works fine.
--
Maggie

Shredder? Is this for paper?
Chipper? You're quite a gal. I don't know anyone who owns his own one of those.
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:30:49 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

We have one, too. Sadly, my husband's shoulder isn't up to the task of feeding in the brush anymore. I'd like to sell it, but he's paranoid (probably rightly so) about craigslist and similar venues.
Cindy Hamilton
On 10/20/2015 11:42 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Use a disposable (i.e., not one that you want to KEEP) email account for selling on CL. Don't bring them to your house (may not be possible depending on the item) but, instead, arrange to meet somewhere else, "public"). Insist on cash. Have a friend with you during the transaction.
Don't respond to "is it still available" or "call me" emails from potential buyers. Instead, list it with the phrase "I will remove this post when the article is no longer available". (often the "is it available" messages are just attempts by folks to capture YOUR email address; dispose of the email account that you used once the sale is complete)
You might also find a local group that can benefit from having it (after verifying that they won't simply turn your donation into cash with a quick sale). E.g., here, there are groups of volunteers who routinely clean and maintain the various trails around town -- on their own dime.
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:48:03 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

Craigslist uses a 2-way mail relay, which hides the actual email addresses used during an email conversation.
However, anything that is in the body of the email, as well as the "real name" field is passed to the recipient. For example, if you have any personal information in your signature, such as a phone number or email address, obviously that is going to be passed to the recipient.
I have a couple of email addresses that I use for website registrations, others that I use for Craigslist, eBay, etc. I get spam on the "registration" email addresses, but the Craigslist and eBay ones have stayed clean for years. None of those email addresses have any personally identifiable information, not even my real name.
On 10/20/2015 1:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

*If* you opt to use their relay!
Using their relay puts another dependency in your email exchanges; i.e., both parties rely on CL's servers being up and accessible (they've been hacked in the past).
But, it also leaves your "means of communication" subject to article expiration *and* cancelation! So, if the item you are opting to sell, ISO, etc. doesn't see any action in the "expiration period" (varies by type of post), CL takes itself out of the "loop".
So, if someone saved (printed, etc.) your CL post but didn't immediately act on it at that time, there is a risk that they may not be able to respond when they want to respond.
And, if folks "prohibit" your post (because you are competing with their post *or* because they want to take advantage of your post and prevent others from seeing it), then the linkage disappears.
Finally, the sites that "harvest" CL posts (sort of mirroring) don't always successfully preserve the CL links (esp see above).
Putting a (disposable) email address *in* the post (even if trivially disguised) allows anyone who sees the body of your post to contact you UNTIL *YOU* CANCEL THE (disposable) EMAIL ACCOUNT!
[This is a huge advantage over telephone contacts -- where you can't easily change your contact number!]

Actually, I think if you use the relay, CL checks the message body for email addresses and won't accept the message with that content. (I'd have to double-check that)

I routinely create and discard email addresses. Where possible, I'll try *truly* "disposable address services" but those are becoming too well known and many sites will scan for their attempted use, and blocking them.
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

as to who they are. o_O

Don't forget Kalifornication which is giving them ids. You know what will follow from there. It just won't be the people down to the south...
--
Tekkie

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

g my real name. I've been in stealth mode for so long that I had to jump th rough all kinds of hoops to convince a prepaid CC issuer that I actually ex isted. It had something to do with the overreaching intrusive ant-terrorism laws that have yet to catch any real terrorists. Yet non citizens are allo wed to enter my country illegally and vote for Democrats without an ID or a ny proof

ll

claiming to be an investigator from South Africa told of people from South Africa and other countries who are NOT citizens of any state in The Union who were voting by mail through California. Those non-citizens wel/are voting in Presidential elections for President of The United States. The fraudulent votes are giving California the most Democrat leaning electors for the Electoral College. This according to the alleged investigator but I expect Democrats to lie, cheat and steal. The end justifies the means is Th e Commiecrat mantra. o_O

What the heck. cadavers are voting from their graves in Philly and Chicago for a long time.
--
Tekkie

On 10/20/2015 12:42 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

If you don't like the potential buyer, just give them an up close demo of how the chipper works.
On 10/20/2015 7:53 PM, rbowman wrote:

"We're gonna need another Timmy!"
On 10/20/2015 10:59 PM, Don Y wrote:

"I didn't know you were ..... think I'll head off, now."
"Now, cut that out!"
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/20/2015 2:30 AM, Micky wrote:

No. It's for chopping/shredding up small tree branches and leaves.

It's just an electric chipper, and it only does small branches.
--
Maggie

I never heard of that before.
I read the Freecycle mailing list, and when I reply I always give my phone number. When I offer something, I give my phone number if they let me, and certainly in my first reply to anyone who answer. It takes so much less time by phone, but only one person has ever called me.
One woman insisted on meeting me in a shopping center. First she offered to drop it off at my house but when I lived 3 miles away that was too much, so i had to meet her near her. 10 emails back and forth to pick the time, and after all that, she didn't tell me what her car looked like. I drove all over the big lot and then waited near the entrance.
I was supposed to get a 9" and 14" tv, but it was a typo and I got stuck with a 19" tv. I had no choice but to take it.
Then she said she had some remotes, and she also said she thought she recognized me. We agreed that I used to run the outdoor club she was a member of, 20 years ago. I emailed, well, since you've known me for 20 years, maybe you could leave the remotes outside your house and I could pick them up. No. Or you could drop them off. No. They weren't for the tv's she gave me so I gave up on them.
I did about 20 events a year for 8 years and I don't actually remember either her or her name. She must have been a lot younger and cuter then but I still don't remember her. And she thinks I will attack her now? Gimme a break.
Most other people are far less scared, say where they live, let me come over at night even. Although I had a guy who gave me a water-immersed camera who was practically naked when he answered the door. He didn't do anything untoward, however. I coudl have fixed the camera except they no longer make the cell battery that was inside it. The replacement is probably too big to fit.
On 10/21/2015 2:08 AM, Micky wrote:

This is the one I bought from there: http://www.harborfreight.com/14-Amp-1-12-in-Capacity-Chipper-Shredder-61714.html
--
Maggie

Amazing!
On 10/21/2015 12:14 PM, Micky wrote:

I researched user reviews on that one and most reviews I read said it was a good product. The first time I used it the chipper didn't skip a beat chopping up everything I fed it. I had a pretty large pile of tree branches and garden stuff, including trimmed grape vines, and it only took about an hour to chop it all into a small trash bag size pile of mulch which I put onto my flower bed.
--
Maggie

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 11:26:26 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

This was sarcasm, because you're a woman. Also, "Micky" is not "micky".
On 10/19/2015 9:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

I have a set of open/box wrenches from KMart from ~40 years back that I use similarly (disposable/"losable"). Ditto for sockets. My better tools stay in the house.

Hmmmm... I will have to note that. The guy who gave me the jack stands also gave me a (tiny) floor jack (not a bottle jack). As with most HF things, I'm not keen on putting my body *under* something that it must support!

A neighbor gifted a hammer drill which has paid for itself (at $0) many many times over! I think I've probably drilled more holes in cement/concrete than anyone I know! (literally more than 100 at ~1" through footers, into the slab, block walls, etc.)

I inherited a C clamp that had a lot of slop in the screw -- so, over the width of the throat, you could end up with the screw NOT lining up with its opposing member!

It looks like you're using the same sort of criteria that I've adopted: things with no or few/coarse moving parts. Or, low usage/disposable.