Hand saw for earthquake emergency?

Page 1 of 2

Is there a type of hand saw that's particularly suited to cutting out of a collapsed house in an earthquake? It should be easy to cut through a 2x4 and other common support beams in a wood framed house.

Are you planning on carrying this saw with you at all times?
Do you really expect to be able locate and access this device *after* your house has collapsed?
"Hold on honey! Let me run down to my workshop and grab that "Earthquake Extraction" saw that was recommended by the fine folks over at a.h.r. I'll have us out in a jiffy.
D*mn! Hey Honey? Have you seen my workshop? I can't seem to find it."
DerbyDad03 wrote:

it's always in the back of the sock drawer.

OH! You mean the sock drawer that's buried under the roof?
OK, I'll just use my emergency saw to cut through the framing material to get to the sock drawer so I can use my emergency saw to cut through the framing to get to the sock drawer so I can use my emergency saw...hey wait...something is amiss here.

I know people who live in "tornado alley" that have them in their "safe room" My friend John has had two houses destroyed by tornadoes. I think he has damned near enough tools to get out of his house as it would take to rebuild it.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

tornados are god's hint telling you to move. god knocked on his front door twice, but no one's home evidently.

I don't live in "tornado alley" or in a earthquake prone area, so I might wrong here, but don't you typically get some type of warning before a tornado totals the place, thus giving you time to get into your safe room?
AFAIK you don't typically get that kind of warning before an earthquake.

I have read that back in the day in tornado country, when the "safe room" was the storm cellar, it was standard practice to take the axe down there with you in case the house landed on top of it. Some people trapped in their attics in New Orleans probably could have used one too. Although as someone pointed out, you don't get any warning time with earthquakes. -- H
james wrote:

I suppose something like this would work:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

OK, got my saw...now if I could only get this wall off of my arm I could use it.

or this HF 10" flush cut pull saw,item # 94722,for $5.99. (reg.$9.99) I've got one,it's great.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Be very careful cutting anything in a collapsed house unless you know what you're doing. It could cause a further collapse. Someone may need to rescue you.
james wrote:

A cordless sawzall or chainsaw would work for cutting into a wood frame house to find survivors. Forget the idea of sawing yourself out, since when the house collapses on you, you'll be lucky if you can scratch your nose, much less get to a saw and saw your way out.
I'd rather have a saw, and have a chance of getting at it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
james wrote:

Cutting into I can sort of understand. Cutting out of????????
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:27:03 -0800, james wrote:

Those support beams may well still be supporting several tons of crap above my head. I'm not sure I'd fancy chopping through them. I don't think I'd fancy trying to do a structural survey in the dark by feel alone, either.
Carry a doggie biscuit in your pocket at all times; the search dogs will find you more quickly.
Jules wrote:

Carry a gun in your pocket at all times; that search dog is really a hungry coyote and you are it's intended dinner.

our Florida gators will get you AND the dog for dinner. 8-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:54:34 -0600, Jim Yanik wrote:

Not if you attack them with your hand saw.

...assuming you can get to the sock drawer.