hampton bay reddington III ceiling fan

Hi, I just bought a hampton bay reddington III ceiling fan + light kit from Home Depot. I installed it, but there are numerous problems. The lights flicker, the remote control dimmer doesn't work when the fan is running, and there is a loud humming.
I double checked the wiring, and it seems ok. I may need to replace the wall dimmer (not fan rated I believe). But it seems that this model has numerous problems judging by some other net feedback.
Anyone with similar experiences? Can anyone recommend a good brand?
- Robi
Robi Khan wrote:

the dimmer switch you have is for lights only...replace it with a wall switch and you might not have any problems...... i had to do that when going with a fan where there used to just be a light on the ceiling... i have some hampton bay ceiling fans from home depot.. no problem.. wanted another one for another room... went back to home depot and bought the same kind(i thought)... put it up and it wobbled all over the place.... it was made a little different in setting it up.. called up the toll free help number from hampton bay and was asked for the model number/ or other number that was printed on the install sheet... the guy says oh yeh.... on that one you have to xyz, abc, and then call us back if it still wobbles... i took it down and brought it back to home depot... next year i went back to home depot and checked out the same brand, same design fan... it was made a little different... i figured that they found their mistake and corrected it... brought it home and installed it and no problem... it must have been a problem with the design on the bad ones.... found out from a friend that works there that when they have problems with items they all go back to the manufacturer and they send them others when the design flaws are changed..... but i think that your problem is the dimmer switch on the wall.. it was made for just lights ......
jim wrote:

Thanks for the pointer. I removed the dimmer and it works great now. It does wobble at the highest fan setting, but that's probably fixable with the 'balancing kit' it comes with (just small weights you stick on top of the blades).
Now looking at the feedback on bobvila.com, it seems that a lot of the problems are related to dimmers in the circuit and/or misunderstandings about how the remote works.
regards, Robi
<< Can anyone recommend a good brand? >>
Maybe all brands have faults, but I've had great luck with Hunter fans. HTH
Joe