Hampton Bay (Home Depot) fan kits - A RANT!

Hi All,

Today I installed a ceiling fan and light kit set I purchased at HD this weekend. Before I begin my rant let me say that as of this minute I am happy with the fixture - it looks and works perfectly.

However - the installation manual for this kit may well be one of the worst written/organized I've ever seen. Unlike some products that are manufactured offshore, and have their manuals written by non-English speaking authors (and are understandably lacking in some aspects) this was clearly written by someone who appreciated the particulars of the language.

That said - here's why it caused my taking the time to rant... After reading the manual carefully, and laying out the parts and tools to be sure I had everything - I began assembly. First, I installed a new circuit box in my ceiling (using a hanger that screws into opposing joists - I could do chin-up's off this thing! Per the instructions I attach the hanger hardware and begin assembling the fan (first the hanger, then electrical connections, then fan blades, then light fixture) - whole project about 1.5 hours - it looks great...

I reach into the box to get the remote control (I'm ready to reset the circuit breaker and test it out!) - only to find 2 (?? two??) boxes in the bag w/ the remote. I see one is a typical remote - and the other is a transmitter/controller unit. It's as big as 2 packs of cigarettes w/ about 6 wires that obviously must be wired to something...

Hmmmm........

I read the tiny folded piece of paper that is in the bag - it states that this is indeed the remote unit - AND the fan will not work without it - it must be installed and wired in as described in the diagram on the same page. I loose my mind! I have this thing all buttoned up, ready to fly - and it's completely wrong! The first manual made no mention of this unit, had a wiring diagram that did not mention it - and makes the person doing the assembling think it is not part of the process.

So, I completely disassemble the unit ( light, fan blades, wiring) - only to realize it cannot possible fit anywhere inside or around the fan - it's way too big!! It's a big, ugly orange box that is meant to be hidden above the ceiling, The solution? Go to attic (about 130 degrees up there today), find the place where the circuit box is (under all the blown-in insulation) re-wire the controller unit above the circuit box and pass the wiring that goes to the fan into the circuit box from above - then go back downstairs and completely install the unit all over again...

At about the 4 hour mark I completed the project. Again, it looks great, works perfectly - It just SUCKED installing because of their damn manual(s)

OK, I'm done - home fan installers, beware.....

Kevin O'

Reply to
Kevin O'

im planning to buy the same thing.. but im not sure if my room is too small the room is 11.5' x 16' how big is your room? does it look proportioned?

i'm glad you posted your installation problems, it will be handy when i do mine thanx for the info! g00ber

manufactured

connections,

Reply to
Gummbeey

Hi,

The room is just bout the same w/ an 8 foot ceiling - proportions are fine for a 52" fan...

good luck,

Kevin O'

Reply to
Kevin O'

Beware Hampton Bay fans. I installed a Hunter and Hampton Bay last year and the HB is already making noises. The three other fans in my house are Hunters and have been whisper quiet for years. In my opinion it is worth it to pay the 15-20 % more for the Hunters.

Reply to
badgolferman

Reply to
Gummbeey

No. The Hampton Bay does not have a remote. It is the motor that is noisy. This one is mounted flush to the ceiling too.

Reply to
badgolferman

You apparently did not lay out ALL the parts and read ALL the instructions, and made assumptions as to what was in the two small boxes. If you had opened the two small boxes before starting your work you would not have had a problem.

The fault is with you, not with the manufacturer.

Learn to take responsibility for your own mistakes. IOW, grow up.

- Buckethead

Reply to
Mister Foldee

hmmm - "Buckethead" - yeah, I think that just about covers it...

K.

instructions,

Reply to
Kevin O'

My lights are level but there are 4 and it would be nice if they were parallel with the walls. There is no way to turn that part of the fixture when mounting to adjust their position.

Reply to
Art Begun

Well, for the other side of the coin, I installed to HB fans in our previous home. They were on virtually 24/7 for the 5-6 years we still had the home, and in low and medium modes, were completely silent. There was a slight hum in high, but the "woosh" of the wind noise from running the fan this fast was far louder. The fans did not get noiser or out of balance in all of this time.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

You may be able to do chin ups on the support bar holding the standard box, but the fan itself is depending on the 2 or 3 tiny screw threads for each of the two screws that mount the fan to the box. That is the weakest link. There is a special fan box that has heavy duty mounting screws with double taps. Same size box as the standard box. The standard MAY be adequate, but the special is a lot better for peace of mind with a fan hanging over your head. Your instructions may call for one of these types. It is easily ignored because taking out the old and installing the special can be a bit of work. Not to do so is a safety compromise.

Your comments about the two-part instructions and how you only reviewed one of them before beginning and the troubles that led to is a good lesson for us all. Your experience indicates it is good idea to read all the instructions first, check the entire parts inventory, and then begin. Certainly it may be necessary to do some integration of the two sets of instructions. One is for a standard fan, and the supplement is for the remote operation that not all fans have. That would be customary practice in any number of mechanical devices with multiple options. The light set itself may have had a separate wiring diagram because not everyone uses the light set and it is not necessary for the wiring of the fan motor itself. Good motto someone offered years ago: "When all else fails, read the instructions."

St> Hi All,

Reply to
Stoney