Hampton Bay Fan Install Question

I'm running into a bit of a problem when installing my Hampton Bay Fan.. If anyone has it let me know its at

Just incase anyone knows what I'm talking about.

I installed this fan and it looks as if the manufacturer puts in rubber stops so the motor doesnt spin during shipping. When in, the motor does not spin freely when you move it with your hand.

I removed those and tested the motor in its installed position and it worked fine. The bad part comes in when I install the blades. After installing the blades the fan spins freely still with the push of the hand, but does not rotate when electricity is pushed through like it did without the blades. Any ideas what might be going on here?

I have just taken one back and got an exachange for the same reason. The connection is a switched JBox, I have also tried it ont he unswitched with the same results. I have the light kit installed ont he fan as well, and that works without a problem.

I have a hunter remote unit running it, but I know this isnt the culprit since it acted the same way without the remote unit between the box and the fan.

Any help, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just would hate to take down this fan again and return it again. It hurts my head just thinking about it.

Reply to
Matt

Couple of questions. Are you hearing a buzz when the motor is on? Are your pull chains set to the high motor position?

If no buzz then no juice is hitting the motor under load. In other words the motor isn't being physically stoppped from turning it has just no power.

I have most commonly seen a fan with remote not work because the pull chain switch was still off with the remote. It needs to be on high.

Since you know you have power for the light wire the blue and black from the fan to the black from you box white to white and ground to ground. pull the chains and see if it powers up it should.

If for some reason it does not. Take it back and get a new one. Have an associate wire a pigtail to the new fan and pull the rubber stops. have them test the motor to make sure it spins up properly before you leave the store. If you have had problems they should have no issue with taking care of you on this.

One of the nice things about the Hapton Bay line is the lifetime warrentee on the black boxed fans.

Reply to
JSin