hammer heads

Page 2 of 2

The xword puzzle author was probably trying to trick people. This guy likes misleading clues.
I checked again and the clue was plural, hammerheads and the answer was peens.
The PEIN spelling is from the German. I understand it is a feminine noun Middle High German Pine, Old High German Pina <medieval Latin pena <Latin poena = atonement, repentance; Fine; Punishment; Qual <Greek poin?
Also: violent physical, mental discomfort; something that torments someone

forming hammer used to form details in sheet metal -usually used with a form behind the metal, sinking the mdetal into the form for ribs, etc. I've used them numerous times.

Thanks, Bob. Just what I wanted to know.