hammer heads

Page 1 of 2
I somehow acquired 6 claw hammers, but I can't find any of them.
Is the head on a ball peen hammer the same as the head on a claw hammer? I assume so but Idon't like assuming.
micky wrote:

So, you sound like you never used hammers. Ball pin hammer head is round.
On 8/13/2014 11:06 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

peen hammer. One striking surface is round, the other is flat.
To the OP, claw and ripping hammers can have different faces. Smooth, or waffle face. So, there is no way to know.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

A claw hammer has a flat face as well. They are SIMILAR but not identical on the flat striking face. The claw hammer can have several different types of striking face - a framing hammer could have a "knurled"face or a smooth face. A finishing hammer has a lightly crowned face - more like what you find on a ball Pien hammer. A ball pein hammer can be used in place of a finishing hammer to drive common or finishing nails.
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:25:19 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well....sorta. The correct name is Ball peen. Named as such as the ball end is used to "peen" pins, rivets and such. Ball pein is also used but it is inaccurate as it does not describe the use of the hammer.
Harry K
On 8/14/2014 12:01 AM, Harry K wrote:

pins, rivets and such. Ball pein is also used but it is inaccurate as it does not describe the use of the hammer.

who is correcting Tony.
Sigh. I thought it was ball peen.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/14/14, 12:01 AM, Harry K wrote:

I have it on good authority that the ball peen was invented to use on leather. They became popular when people began flying jets because they can be used at high altitudes. Also, they won't ruin shirts.
On 8/15/2014 9:53 AM, J Burns wrote:

It took a lot of little balls to post that!
Tony Hwang wrote:

Yup , and the other end of the head is basically the same as a claw hammer . Might not be crowned the same , and likely polished more from driving punches and chisels . But it'll still drive a nail .
--
Snag

Thank you. That's what I meant.
And thanks everyone.

I got the ball peen hammer used and I have no idea how old it is, but it has dents in the flat face, maybe from hammering nails. If it's that soft, I didn't want to damage it more. Or maybe the dents are from rivets or something one has to hit harder than a nail????
OTOH, I don't think I've ever put a dent in a claw hammer face.
On 8/14/2014 12:25 AM, micky wrote:

Ball peen hammer won't pull nails out, so no. It's not the same.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
micky wrote:

People beat on all kinds of shit with a ball peen . And you can clean up that hammer face on a belt sander . Just kind of rock it a little side/side and up/down to give it a bit of crown <use the unsupported bit between the platen and the drive roller> . Can be done on a grinder too , but a bit more touchy ... ((I forget not everybody has a machine shop in their back yard ...))
--
Snag

On 8/13/2014 10:22 PM, micky wrote:

No, they are different. Which is why they have different names.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I thought the claw hammer for driving nails had a differant hardness and was very hard compaired to the BP hammer. That is why they say not to bang two hammers together.

Talk about coincidence. I was doing the Wash. Post crossword puzzle last night (from a day or two before) and one of the clues was
hammerhead and the answer was peen.
On Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:43:17 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:

I wonder if the maker was aware that "pein" is an acceptable alternate spelling :)
Harry K
On 8/13/2014 10:22 PM, micky wrote:

It is Shark Week so the hammerhead qualifies Sharks don't have claws though. They are not as precise driving nails but will do in a pinch.
On 8/14/14, 8:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A claw hammer will deter an inappropriately affectionate cat.

Depends which side of the border (or pond) you are on - both names are correct. - Ball PIN is not.

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:59:50 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well....both are ACCEPTED but if you google "pein" you always wind up with it being nothing but a "variant spelling of 'peen'". I could find no dictionary meaning of "pein" at all.
Oddly, I did find a hit for a "ball peen claw hammer" with a picture of a standard ball peen (no claw). But that seems to be from China.
I stand by my original. "pein" is used but it is incorrect. It also appears to be more a British use.
Harry K