hammer drills

Never had any problem w/ my Milwaukee one-piece keyless. I would not say the same thing about some of the two-piece keyless chucks I've used (nor can I say anything firsthand about how well other than Red ones work :) )...

--

Reply to
dpb

I see some hammer drills with keyless chucks.

Hard for me to believe keyless chucks would grip a bit tightly enough to work with it.

Are keyless chucks OK with hammer drills???

Reply to
rb

Why would you want to buy anything but a Red One?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I agree. My Hilti tools are AWESOME!

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Not that hammer drill is my primary use for it, but my Dewalt 18v cordless has never dropped a bit in hammer mode. Their keyless chuck has a feature which locks it with a slight twist after tightening.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Get a drill that uses SDS type bits. They snap in and can't slip, and it seems to me, that the SDS Hilti and Bosch drills I've owned, transfer more punch to the work than any non SDS Milwaukee, Ryobi, Makita, or Dewalt I've owned

Reply to
RBM

I own 2, a small 3/8" chuck and a bigger SDS type roto hammer.

I would never buy one with a keyless chuck.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Agreed - I can't think of a single time where I would have found a hammer drill useful; a good SDS makes the heavy stuff easy*, and a conventional, lighter-weight rotary (and my DeWalt wasn't expensive, yet it's seen a lot of use) seems to handle everything else.

  • except when a chisel bit binds in a wall and I have to leave it there while I drill around it to free it - grrr! :-)

I suppose I might talk myself into a cordless rotary too sometime, but probably not in the near future (I prefer having constant power and not messing with flat batteries, even if it does mean running a cord)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

The answer is yes, no, definitely, and maybe. I would say they are okay, but still, there is more chance of coming loose than a keyed chuck. Some bits have a round shank, and some have a triangular shank. The keyless will definitely hold better on the triangular ones, but once it comes loose at all, it's wallowing out the metal inside. My recommendation is to use it for 3/8" bits or less, and bigger than that, go SDS. SDS are so simple, and reasonably priced, too. Plus, you can get points, chisel tips, different "bits" for it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

There are good keyless chucks and there are crappy keyless chucks that you can't tighten enough.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw