Hammer Drill Recommendations Sought

Page 1 of 2

My adult son, the amateur handyman, told me he would like a hammer drill for Xmas. I asked him what brand/size/model/style/color/etc and he said he didn't know enough to make an intelligent choice. So, I'm asking you guys to see if there is any consensus on what to get.
All serious comments and recommendations appreciated.
Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee
CWLee, 12/12/2006,6:00:22 PM, wrote:

HILTI
badgolferman wrote:

I have seem the Hilti mentioned on this forum before but I don't see it anywhere else. Who stocks and sells them ????

Saw a Hilti sales area at a home depot. Call ahead before going.
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Hilti rapes you on the bits.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Not if you're using them for professional use where time and reliability = money. The only complaint I've ever heard about Hilti is the price.
Pete C.

Not just the price of the drill/rotohammer, but the price of the proprietary bits, too.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

When was the last time you used a Hilti? They all use SDS or SDS plus these days.
Pete C.

Lemme see ........................ about 1995. At that time, I investigated getting one, as the one I had loaned to me worked so well.
But the bits were spendy.
If they have changed, and now use the SDS bits, then I say that's good. The Hilti brand is a great brand. A quality piece of machinery.
Sorry, but I don't keep up on every element of the human experience, and may have overlooked this one, too.
But the caveat to the OP remains. Buy one that takes SDS bits, and you won't have to spend as much. Hilti or Itlih.
Steve
CWLee wrote:

I love my Milwaukee hammer drill and can reccomend it. I also have a cordless Bosch 24V hammer drill, it is OK. I advise buying a corded hammer drill before considering the numerous cordless options. Many companies make a well built drill but Milwaukee has been the standard bearer for many years.

Dewalt is worth looking at, also. (I'm not disagreeing with the other posters.)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)"8305
I've had Hilti's that I liked a lot, but to expensive. I use a Bosch now that works well and wasn't to expensive

harborfreight.com has them for $24 They are as good as any other and cheaper
CWLee wrote:

Unless, of course, you are actually going to use the thing. In which case, the cheapo variety will burn out/wear out instantly.
Steve

But isn't "instant" a good thing. So many ads for so many things mention "instant".

Heres the link http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberE338
CWLee wrote:

I've owed the Harbor Freight hammer drill for nearly two years. I use it every week or so and am very happy with it. I even use it for driving screws. Can't beat the price -- even if it dies tomorrow.

I have a Bosch. I've NEVER been disappointed with any Bosch power tool.
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato
Originally I wrote:

know
So far everyone has mentioned a brand (with no apparent concensus) but nothing has been said about size/type/style. (Other than to suggest avoiding a battery pack model.) Maybe those aren't significant variables? I'd be surprised if there is not at least a size variation - either in the size of the bit that it will accept, or the HP of the motor.
Keep those informative suggestions flowing! :-)
CWLee wrote:

Well I don't know what he is going to be doing with it so I can only suggest what I know. I use it for 3/32 adn 3/16 inch bits and I bought the cheapo from Menards for $29.99 with a three year replacement gaurantee. I did have to take the first one back after 6 months the switch didn't turn off any more I had to plug unplug until I could get to the store and exchange it. I took it back to Menards and left the drill and reciept at the exchange counter went to the tool department and brought the same one back to the exchange desk and they looked at the model number and said OK and handed me my reciept and the box and off I went. The new unit has been flawless for what I do with it. I just use small Tap-Con screws in concrete to hold shelves and when I was doing my basement the sill plates. The unit is 1/3 hp and has a keyed chuck and can be used as a normal drill by sliding a lever over to non impact, that is handy as well as this is my only corded drill so I can use it for other things as well. So that might be a feature to look for as well???
Good luck, Rich