Halogen Light odor

I replaced my incandescent desk lamp with a halogen lamp. It works great throwing out considerable light. Only problem is I noticed a burning type odor from the burning bulb. Is this common or will it burn off eventually. I've used it about 8 times in the last month and the odor isn't going away. Do these bulbs give off an odor? Or, is it simply the newness of the unit that I am smelling?

I am aware of the dangers of halogen lamps. I shut it off before I leave the room. I was also thinking of putting in a timer to double my protection.

Reply to
Charlie S.

Its not the bulb something is overheating-melting, Halogens run alot hotter. It could be the socket, wires, look at everything till you find it..

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks.. I'm wondering if it's the overlaying glass that's next to it. I'm going to check it out. Most likely I will return it if I can resolve the problem.

Reply to
Charlie S.

The light fixture may not be rated for a halogen lamp. Sounds like the fixture is overheating. I'd go back to an incandescent bulb.

Reply to
R & S

I am going to go back and return for an incandescent. It's a Tensor lamp. Specifically states on the box that its a 150 watt halogen unit. Just started with this thing and it's already a danger.

Reply to
Charlie S.

There are two possibilities that I can think of.

First and very likely is dust. Common household dust. That small lamp gets a lot hotter than most lamps and it can burn the dust on it. Try cleaning it carefully (unplug it) and make sure it is really clean. Even a finger print on some of the lamps can cause them to burn out prematurely. Let it dry completely before turning it on. Do this a couple of times before you turn it on and also clean the lamp housing as it also gets extra hot, and see if that helps. I suspect it will.

The other possibility is if it is a low voltage halogen with a transformer, then it could be the transformer. You could try another, but it has been my experience that they tend to make that smell, although it does tend to become less noticeable with time. I don't know if that is because they make less smell, or because I did not notice it as much.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan