Half a House

This site talks about the unseen in our world. It focuses on design and architecture. The article here starts off talking about the 2010 earthquake in Chile. It shows the housing brought in to give the people shelter. Half a house is pretty much what they got. One half to live in right away, the other half to finish themselves to suit their needs. Episode 234 talks about a baseball manager's changes in alignment to stop Ted Williams.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Friend of mine built a house similar to that. It was a nice looking brick house in a development. Two story. He had the contractors to make it look nice on the outside and some work on the inside. He would do some work like the insulation in the walls and painting himself and have contractors to do the skilled work. As he and his wife got money they would finish a room at a time. After about 3 years it looked very nice on the first floor. He did some work on the 2nd floor,but not needing the space, most of it is just one large unfinished area about 30 years later. It even has some plumbing at that level that is capped off so another bathroom could be added if it is wanted.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have been told that in years ago that in the country as the children came along they would add a room at a time to the house.

Growing up in a small town I remember dad had a shingle roof put on to replace the tin roof. At that time he added a room to make a 2 bedroom to a 3 bed room house.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Many, if not most old farm houses began as small homes, and as money came in, rooms or additions were added. Unlike today, when people build large homes by getting credit, and often losing these homes if they can not pay off the banks. But in the 19th and early 20th century, credit was rare, and homes were built "as needed". As a family grew, so did the house.

Currently, I am aware if a situation where a lack of available credit has stopped a business from completing a bar & restaurant. The owner had a small bar/restaurant, and it was a successful business. Then a fire destroyed the building. After he got the insurance money, he built a huge building, which has over four times the square footage as the original building. The insurance money paid to build the shell of the structure, and then the guy ran out of money, and it appears he can not get enough credit to complete the building. For a half year, this shell of a building has just sat there, unable to be used for anything. It consists of a foundation with walls and a completed roof. The walls are just styrofoam sheathing with no siding. The interior is just stud walls. No electric, no plumbing, and thus it has no value as a bar or restaurant.

There was talk that the guy was going to just finish half of the upper floor and not do anything with the lower floor (2 story building). Then reopen it as a business. However, the last I heard, he can not even afford the siding, wiring, or plumbing. And the code will not allow him to open as a business without covering ALL the walls and ceilings with a fireproof material (probably meaning sheetrock). So, this half completed building just sits there, unused and will likely remain that way. Everyone in the area agrees that he built it too large and did not use common sense. I can only guess that he will end up selling this half finished building and losing money, as well as never re-opning his bar and restaurant.... I guess time will tell....

Reply to
Paintedcow

On Wed, 02 Nov 2016 13:47:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote in

Time has alread told that he is a moron.

Reply to
VinnyB