Something I never knew or even thought about...
One of the ladies in our office lost her electricity yesterday thanks to
Katrina and by this morning it wasn't restored.
She took a shower at home and came into work early bringing her hair
dryer with her.
She began drying her hair in the office, about eight feet away from one
of the smoke detectors around a corner on an eight foot high ceiling.
You guessed it, the detector went off, alarms started ringing all over
our office building and the few people who were there that early bailed
out into thankfully mild sunny weather.
The Fire Department showed up shortly and turned off/reset the alarm system.
I knew that curling irons could cause the release of vapors which could
set off smoke detectors, but hair dryers? The smoke alarm system in the
building was replaced a couple of years ago, so I suppose the detectors
can detect things other than classical smoke.
One of the smoke detectors in a hallway of our home will go off if
someone showers for a while in a nearby bathroom and then exits without
shuutting the bathroom door. So, I guess water vapor can set off a smoke
alarm and maybe our worker's hair drying did the same thing.
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Click to see the full signature.