Hail and wind damage to roof and siding and insurance companies ??

I have noticed that in the last three or so years that about 20 percent of the houses in my subdivision in northwest suburban Chicago have gotten new siding and roofs. The houses here are about 15 years old. Almost all have been done by the same company that scours the neighboorhood after storms looking for any type of damage.

My wife said they stopped by our house the other day and wanted to know if we wanted our roof and siding replace because of hail and wind damage and that it would cost us nothing more than our deductible or something like that (my wife often does not get the whole story or ask a lot of questions) and that they would do most the talking with the insurance company. I said what damage. She showed me a piece of loose siding by the side of the garage on the top row. I said that has been like that for years and I intend to fix it someday - really. Then she showed me about 10 shingles that were elevated ever so slightly which I said that I can fix that in about an hour with some roofing cement like I used to do on my first house back in more lean times.

So my question is this legit in that these companies can get the insurance companies to pay for almost all costs with only what I would call very minor damage that a handy man would probably fix for $100 ?? Wouldn't the insurance companies at least want to pro rate the roof replacement based on the age of the roof?? Why in the world would they replace all the siding with such little damage. Or maybe there is more to it than that and the home owners are picking up a percentage of the repairs?

As for me I don't like to mess with insurance companies as they always seem to have a way [individually or as a group] to get their money back particualry if you look like the type of client that is going to call them for every little thing. I basically want to be covered in case of a fire, car theft, or something like that.

Thanks for any advice, input, experiences, or opinions.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I suggest you contact your insurance company.

I had a similar situation and after the storm many homes had damage. I did not say any on my home, but some homes even had window screens ripped up. The storm chasers were out and I ignored all they had to say, but I did call my insurance company. They sent out an inspector. The inspector showed me where the damage was and offered several suggestions. I chose to have the damage repaired and followed a couple of his suggestions to improve my venting and I was able to leave some cosmetic damage (dents in gutters and down spouts) an apply that to upgrading the new roof. I asked for suggestions about local contractors and I had worked with one of the two that were suggested and they did a very nice job.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I and several neighbors have had our roofs replaced twice. We live in the middle of North Carolina. One time was after a hurricane that came way inland and about 2 years due to hail. I have a $ 500 deductiable and that was what it cost both times.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Insurance companies are like bookies. They don't mind paying out claim money as long as the premiums cover it and they get to tack on their hefty profit. Just remember, the more claims they pay the more you pay. Pretty soon you will be like Florida where we are paying $4000 a year for insurance and have a 4-5% deductible.

Reply to
gfretwell

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:Homdnb_-OuZrttjVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Just curious. Totally replaced all the shingles? How bad was the damage? I mean repair was not considered?

Where? I'm in FAY.

Surprised they did not want to prorate age, especially the first time.

Reply to
Red Green

The house the shingles were replaced in was in China Grove, South of Salisbury. I now live abouth halfway between Rockwell and Granet Quarry.

Al the shingles on all the houses were replaced. They probably could not match the blown off shingles due to the hurricane, not sure. Also they had to replace two storm windows that were broken during the hurricane. The hail dammage was to way too many shingles to just repair them. They did not send out an inspector the first time, but they did for the hail dammage.I was just told to get an estiment and send it to them. They sent me a check back for the dammages minus the deductiable. I think it was about $ 250 teh first time and $ 500 the second time.The first time it was made to me and the bank as I still owed some on the house. The second time it was made to me as I had payed off the house.

It might be the kind of insurance you have if it is prorated or not.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In the OP's example, he has one piece of loose siding and a few shingles barely lifted up, and none of it attributable to a specific storm. I'd be very suprised if the insurance company would pay out on that and even if they did, it would not be worth it, because they aren't going to pay for re-doing the whole house siding and roof.

I'd be particularly cautious in any companies that offer to do all the dealing with the insurance company. You could wind up with them telling you it's covered, only to be presented with a big bill, a mechanics lien, and insurance coverage that only pays a part of it.

Reply to
trader4

The insurance company will not accept the word of the company. The company will have to notify the insurance company and they will send out their own inspectors. Or you can call your insurance agent and have an inspector.

Roof insurance is repacement of the roof regardless of age. If your roof is indeed damaged the insurance company may just offer to repair it. Sometimes it takes some argueing to get them to replace. I have seen where every house in an area got a new roof but one. He had to almost take the insurance company to court to get a new roof but he finally got it.

And if the roof is to be replaced many if not most companies appraise what it will cost to replace and what it is actually worth. You get a check for what it is worth and they will pay the remainder, less your deductable, when you actaully get it replaced.

Reply to
Rich256

Why would you want someone you don't know talking to your insurance company?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

These kinds of "contractors" are good for only one thing.. reminding you to call your insurance company to have them check. I wouldn't use them even if needed a new roof. It is a trust (okay, frank paranoia) issue.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

When we had hail damage in chgo we called the ins co. Since yours wasnt Hail damage I think you might end up paying it, I bet the pitch they did 15% is their lie to make you think they are legit. Questionable, or several claims can get you dropped, Just wait, a big storm is comming for a real genuine claim.

Reply to
ransley