Haier Air Conditioners: Thoughts On ?

Hello:

The local paper (Boston) are full of ads for window air conditioners by HAIER.

Have never, ever, heard of them.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on, them ?

Sure are cheap; a 6,000 BTU window unit for $ 99.

With a name like Haier, they are probably from China or Korea, but i remember reading that most A/C's these days are.

Thoughts on ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Wal-Mart sells a 5K Btu PER HOUR 9.7 SEER version for $78.44.

I just bought a Daewoo 5340 Btu/h 10.2 SEER for $69.

I measured a 0.98 COP for the Haier in a 63 F room with the hot coil airflow restricted to make it 110 F.

Remote control adds about $20.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Most small AC's are from abroad or have major components that are.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi Nick:

Thanks for info.

Is 0.98 COP "good" ?

Bob

Reply to
Robert11

From China. Low priced (as you see). Company has been expanding rapidly. No knowledge of how good they are.

LB

Reply to
LB

I just bought a 5200 BTU from Target for 69.99 a few weeks back. I have only used it 3 times at night in my bedroom. It seems to work well.

Reply to
someone

[snip]>>

The company headquarters are in China, but it's a quality, forward-looking multi-national brand, and the unit you bought was probably from their U.S. plant. Haier has a large plant adjacent to I95 just south of Florence, SC., which was built for the specific purpose of understanding and marketing to the U.S. market. -- Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler

We have one of their refrigerators in work and it was made in China. According to their web site, some manufacturing is being done in the US.

South Carolina is the site of the $40 million Haier America Industrial Park. The 110 acres of land is the home of the groundbreaking state-of-the-art refrigerator facility, which is surely, the first of many.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not a bad cooling COP, given my torturing, although less than Haier's

9.7/3.41 = 2.84 spec. If the heating COP is 1.98, we might heat water for showers this way with half the usual energy.

There was some condensation, which I didn't measure.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Exactly how does one measure a COP?