Haier Air Conditioners: Thoughts On ?

Hello:
The local paper (Boston) are full of ads for window air conditioners by HAIER.
Have never, ever, heard of them.
Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on, them ?
Sure are cheap; a 6,000 BTU window unit for $ 99.
With a name like Haier, they are probably from China or Korea, but i remember reading that most A/C's these days are.
Thoughts on ?
Thanks, Bob

Wal-Mart sells a 5K Btu PER HOUR 9.7 SEER version for $78.44.

I just bought a Daewoo 5340 Btu/h 10.2 SEER for $69.

I measured a 0.98 COP for the Haier in a 63 F room with the hot coil airflow restricted to make it 110 F.
Remote control adds about $20.
Nick
Hi Nick:
Thanks for info.
Is 0.98 COP "good" ?
Bob ----------------

Not a bad cooling COP, given my torturing, although less than Haier's 9.7/3.41 = 2.84 spec. If the heating COP is 1.98, we might heat water for showers this way with half the usual energy.

There was some condensation, which I didn't measure.
Nick
On 29 May 2005 09:04:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

Exactly how does one measure a COP?

Most small AC's are from abroad or have major components that are.
Robert11 wrote:

From China. Low priced (as you see). Company has been expanding rapidly. No knowledge of how good they are.
LB

multi-national brand, and the unit you bought was probably from their U.S. plant. Haier has a large plant adjacent to I95 just south of Florence, SC., which was built for the specific purpose of understanding and marketing to the U.S. market. -- Regards --

We have one of their refrigerators in work and it was made in China. According to their web site, some manufacturing is being done in the US.
http://www.haieramerica.com/about_haier.php Camden, South Carolina is the site of the $40 million Haier America Industrial Park. The 110 acres of land is the home of the groundbreaking state-of-the-art refrigerator facility, which is surely, the first of many.
I just bought a 5200 BTU from Target for 69.99 a few weeks back. I have only used it 3 times at night in my bedroom. It seems to work well.