Hague water softener brine tank filling up

I have a Hague Watermax 94 water softener that's worked flawlessly for 8 years, but suddenly the brine tank has been filling up with water. I didn't even realize it was happening until it overflowed and there was water on the floor. I disconnected the small hose that goes to the valve head and there's a constant trickle from it. Regeneration results in all of the water being purged and around 4 inches of water replaced, then slowly it starts to fill up again.
I don't know much about how softeners work, but I took the float unit out of the brine tank. It has a plastic ball that (I think) is supposed to float up and stop the flow of water once it reaches a certain level. Is that how it's supposed to work? The ball moves freely and the gasket it stops against seemed clean enough. Again, I don't know much about them and no idea if the brine float unit is solely responsible for stopping the flow, the valve head, or a combination of both.
Unfortunately the local Hague dealer went out of business shortly after they sold/installed the unit so I can't call them for help.
Thanks in advance for any help
bowlesm had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Hague-water-softener-brine-tank-filling-up-178361-.htm : You need to replace the brine valve assembly. It is not shutting off but there is not enough flow/pressure to shut off the tank float valve (it is a check valve type that will always let water out but will shut off incomming water when the float rises up). I assume it is recharging properly?? Part number for the Brine Valve is 93514 around $20. It is the little button that the cam on the end of the magnet wheel presses in during brine recharge and tank fill operations (#2 and #4 on the clock)

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 319846 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##