Had shed built but contractor didn't get permit -- now needs to be moved.

Page 3 of 3

In Indiana, any improvement can impact on the assessment.

Of course, all laws and practices are uniform across the entire reach of the Usenet. Riiigggggtttt.

Usually the statement of "Look, I'm not sure what to do here. So, I'm going to ask the Contractor's Board what I should do, and make a report with them, and then go by what they tell me" is enough to have the contractor out there miraculously the next morning. If not, make a Contractor's Board complaint so that this guy's actions are answerable. I bet he gets on it right away. And you should have to pay nothing. That would have been the scenario in Nevada, where I was a contractor for nine years. Most contractors do not want written complaints, and will do what needs to be done to rectify the situation to the owner's satisfaction.
MHO, YMMV
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

If the structure isn't on a permananent foundation then a permit may not be required and the builder may not be liable for anything. Did you make that clear to the code people when you talked to them?
That said, if someone needs access to that particular area (say because of a pipe leak), you would be required to pay the cost of clearing the area.
Assuming for the moment that this is a heavy, wood-frames, metal- skinned shed on a heavy wood floor like mine (I assume you wouldn't have paid someone to screw together a cheap metal shed), they moved ours across the yard Egyptian style, by rolling it on a couple of large PVC pipes... If it's also staked down like ours, that makes it more interesting...
Anything up to 10X10 does not require a permit here (Dade County, FL), even if you pour a slab, but mine was 10X12 and I wanted to be safe and get a permit. This was pretty frustrating, and I suspect it's largely because no one here has EVER bothered to get one and no one knew how to handle it or really thought it was worth their time to deal with it...

metal sheds have short lifetimes. so what is the eastment for? sewer line maybe?
you might ask for a exception to the eastment, agreeing to move it any time in future if needed...
its possible you might never need to move it, I have a non conforming shed 16 X 20. no harm in asking:)