Hacker's Delight

Why do I believe this?
____ *Have you seen this?*____ *"Hacker's **Delight**"*____ ____ Caution is warranted:____ ____ On Fox Business Network’s “Cavuto” on Wednesday, computer programmer and founder of McAfee, Inc. John McAfee said the online component of Obamacare “is a hacker’s delight” that will cause “the loss of income for the millions of Americans who are going to lose their identities.” ____ For starters, McAfee said the way it is set up makes it possible for fake websites be set up to fool people to think they’re signing up for Obamacare. ____ “It’s seriously bad,” McAfee said. “Somebody made a grave error, not in designing the program but in simply implementing the web aspect of it. I mean, for example, anybody can put up a web page and claim to be a broker for this system. There is no central place where I can go and say, ‘OK, here are all the legitimate brokers, the examiners for all of the states and pick and choose one.’” ____ “Instead, any hacker can put a website up, make it look extremely competitive, and because of the nature of the system — and this is health care, after all — they can ask you the most intimate questions, and you’re freely going to answer them,” he continued. “What’s my Social Security number? My birth date? What are my health issues?” ____ According to McAfee, there’s not a quick fix — and as long as it set up this way, it could be a playground for computer hackers. ____ “Here’s the problem: It’s not something software can solve,” McAfee continued. “I mean, what idiot put this system out there and did not create a central depository? There should be one website, run by the government, you go to that website and then you can click on all of the agencies. This is insane. So, I will predict that the loss of income for the millions of Americans who are going to lose their identities — I mean, you can imagine some retired lady in Utah, who has $75,000 dollars in the bank, savings of her whole life, having it wiped out in one day because she signed up for Obamacare. And believe me, this is going to happen millions of times. This is a hacker’s delight. I mean I cannot believe that they did this.”____

Because you're pretty dim and believe all the ridiculous Tea Leaf propaganda?

On 10/22/2013 5:28 AM, harryagain wrote:

Moron. Are you familiar with the internet?
On 10/22/13 4:28 AM, harryagain wrote:

Maybe because the people doing the Obamacare site can't get even the simpler things right. It would be understandable if this was in the early days of computers and the internet. This sounds like it is pretty much like following a marked trail, not trailblazing.
On Monday, October 21, 2013 4:13:24 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

, computer

t�

ody made a grave

½

ask

l Security

ong

e can

That’s why I never buy anything when it first comes out. I always wait un til they get all the bugs out.
Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

My rule is "Never buy release x.0 of *anything*.".
--
Pete Cresswell

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 19:13:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon

    True, but if it was centralized hackers could do a host file edit (via malware), spoof the DNS or execute a MITM attack, and harvest the same data.     OTOH centralized is better. Keep the best IT techs at the main server.     Is this about ObamaCare, or hacking ? Adobe, AVG and Avast were recently hacked. Nothing is hack-proof.     FWIW
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

The part of the interview that I picked up on was the part about lacking a central site that knows where the valid sites are. His contention was that, without that central site, it becomes easier to set up look-alike sites to harvest innocent people's data.
I claim no knowledge of internet security - but what he said sounded logical. I'd just like to hear it from some other sources.
--
Pete Cresswell

    It's logical because it's true. A central site would be more secure, because it would (hopefully) be staffed by competent IT guys, not some local guy that just happens to be the sheriffs brother.     :)     But it would be trivial for pro hackers using malware or MITM attacks to deceive inexperienced users into thinking they were logging into the central site.     Attachment = don't open without a Jotti scan.     Invalid Certificate = don't accept     Antivirus = keep up to date     etc     IOW, Safe Hex     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-hospital-thefts-patient-files-20131021,0,3475716.story
Data should have been encrypted.
Moved to OT.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

For sure re: other sources. Some people might recall McAfee was wanted for murder and was a "bath salt" abuser, at least according to some accounts.
http://www.cracked.com/article_20618_5-spectacularly-crazy-meltdowns-by-ceos-major-companies_p2.html
<<After his memory-hogging software became huge, McAfee did what any of us would do in that situation: He immediately packed up his shit and moved to Belize. Unfortunately, hunkering down in a massive compound in the jungle leads most right-thinking folks to assume you're up to no good. In early 2012, dozens of officers and soldiers raided his jungle property. Apparently the police thought he was cooking meth. That was absurd, of course. A search of McAfee's compound turned up nothing more than a dozen guns and loads of suspicious-looking lab equipment. Nothing about that says "meth lab" at all. As it turned out, though, the guns were all legal and registered, and the lab was used to manufacture "herbal compounds," so McAfee was back on the jungle streets after a mere 14 hours in custody.
That all changed when his American expat neighbor turned up dead later that year with a gunshot wound to the head. Due to his notoriously eccentric behavior, McAfee was noted as a suspect. Upon hearing this, he did the sensible thing and ran away, convinced that police were going to murder him.
McAfee made his way to Guatemala but was immediately arrested on charges that he was trying to enter the country illegally. In order to give his lawyer time to draw up appeals, he faked a heart attack in detention. It's apparently around this time that Guatemalan officials decided to just let him go to Miami instead of putting up with his shit any further.
As crazy as that story is, it doesn't compare to McAfee's own claims about what he was doing the whole time on the lam. If you guessed "running a secret operation out of the South American jungle spying on the Belize government," then congratulations, you're a deranged millionaire!
According to a lengthy blog post, McAfee purchased 75 laptops, hacked them with surveillance software, and distributed them to powerful government officials. Then he hired a spy ring of 29 operatives (one of whom apparently became a double agent) and wiretapped everyone's phones. Other than the typical sexual affairs and covered-up murders, McAfee claimed he found evidence of a "Hezbollah trafficking network" that was moving 11 terrorists into America every month, information apparently gleaned by his undercover agents. Not a single thing we said in the preceding paragraph is a joke.>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bKgf5PaBzyg#t
3s
So I'd wonder about anything he had to say.
On a practical level, most sane hackers look to hit bank sites and people who *have* money and tend to shy away from collecting info about folks who will be depending on Obamacare and need government subsidies to buy insurance. Sure, there's the political value of screwing up Obamacare put a practical hacker is looking to rob people with money, not sick people that can't afford regular health insurance.
I developed software a long, long time ago when the universe of browers and operating systems was very, very small and even back then, small differences between Netscape and Internet Explorer proved devilish. I can't imagine what it's like to develop software nowadays with all the various PC's, smartphones, tablets, browsers, OS's and versions of same that are out there. It really is Babel and I am not surprised Obamacare's having the problems being reported. It's probably useful to remember that Medicare Part D was similarly plagued by startup problems that eventually got smoothed out. Part D also had the luxury of not being the focus of determined attacks to defund it by Ted Cruz and his merry band of Tea Party terrorists.
This is just another reason that a single payer system that built on the already existing Medicare model would have made so much more sense.
--

Bobby G.

On 10/21/2013 06:13 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Total BS but it's not BS about McAfee being wanted for murder.