H/D TV

Page 2 of 3  
Ya right....And you listen to Congress? Thats their statement. FCC rules.....2007
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You can get free HD over the air now. Flip the TV on, flip channels, watch TV in High Def. Free.
My 74 year old mother who can't set the VCR timer can do it, so can you!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Most local broadcast's are sending digital pictures because of the lack of HD content. Very few channels have the HD content, but it will pick up.
Paul
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Lack of HD content? The major networks have most of their prime time in HD. Fox in NYC even has it's live helicopter camera shots in HD now.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lack of HD content? The major networks have most of their prime time in HD. Fox in NYC even has it's live helicopter camera shots in HD now
In many markets the local stations arent carrying full high def, they are sending out multiple feeds using the same bandwidth.
channel one downgraded high def channel two shopping channel three business feed
they want to maximize revenue $$$$
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Which markets are those? Most of prime time is in HD on the major networks. Are you saying that there are many areas that don't have prime time in HD because the locals are choosing to transmit something else? Or sports? Hard to believe, as it would be like cutting their own throats. A reference to the the any of the many places you say this is occuring would be welcome.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Re-read the post......I said LOCAL.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Huh? Was it you who posted this:
In many markets the local stations arent carrying full high def, they are sending out multiple feeds using the same bandwidth.
The way network transmission gets to folks via OTA has to be through the local affiliate. You seemed to be suggesting that some were choosing to transmit in std def programming that was available in hi def to maximize revenue. I don't think that is the case. I believe all the locals that have digital available are transmitting whatever HD content is available from the networks.
Sure, the local news may not be in high def, by choice of the local affiliate. And daytime soaps from the networks are not in hi def at all, as far as I know. But that doesn't equate with a lack of HD programming because the locals are choosing not to transmit what is available. I think the available HD content doesn't vary all that much by market. If I'm wrong, I'd like to see a reference to a programming guide.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net ( snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net) said...

That is a possibility.
Digital television has enabled HD in a number of ways that analog couldn't. We had this standard that allocated 6 MHz for a channel that originally carried a monochrome picture and one audio channel.
Then we added colour, then we added stereo (and SAP), and then we wanted to add a higher definition picture. In Japan, they have been using an analog system for broadcasting HD pictures, but in order to do it, they had to use THREE channels to send one programming signal.
With digital technology, compression is easier and more effective and allows an HD picture with 5.1 surround sound to be sent in that same 6 MHz bandwidth. But what if you are only sending a standard definition picture? There is actually space in the channel to send FOUR standard definition pictures when sent digitally! There is also ED (Enhanced Definition) that lies between the two, and you could fit two ED picture signals in a single channel. Unused bandwidth could be used to send just about anything you want digitally.
I had heard that PBS was considering sending FOUR standard definition programs during the daytime and swithing to a single HD program in the evenings. This could allow multiple feeds in a single market to provide schools with different programming. I don't know if this idea has been scrapped, or perhaps implemented in a small number of markets.

I would suspect that any possible extra commercial revenue from sending multiple channels of programming in lower definition might be offset by the extra costs in providing the extra programming. If the network is providing an HD feed, why not just broadcast it that way, especially since some of your viewing audience has invested in the equipment and would like to see it that way. If you broadcasted it in ED or even standard, in order to use the rest of the bandwidth for other programming, you have to get that programming from somewhere. There will be some costs to that, even if it is hiring staff to operate a VCR to press the play button.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Here in Corpus Christi, TX, our NBC affiliate is the only station that broadcasts in true HD. Our CBS affiliate is standard definition digital (that may change sometime this year). Same with PBS and Univision. Our ABC affiliate does not broadcast in digital at all (their digital transmitter is under construction). Neither does Fox, Telemundo, or UPN.
During certain tropospheric conditions, we can receive digital stations from San Antonio (about 180 miles from us). There, they have about 4 PBS stations, NBC Weather Plus, local weather radar, and traffic cams of various parts of the city. Most of their broadcasts *are* HD.
Just an example of what's going on outside NYC. :)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Almost every prime time show is in HD, hardly a "lack" of content.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<Almost every prime time show is in HD, hardly a "lack" of content. >
Stations are free to transmit whatever content they want.
THERE IS NO FCC REQUIREMENT FOR HIGH DEF! EVER! Just the end to analog feeds now postponed to 2009
In some markets there will be no high def. the local broadcasters are selling the multifeed as a cable tv service.
sure the nework offeres high def, but the local affiliate can carry what it wants, and they want $
Even some satellite services are carrying high def light, limiting the bandwidth some to squeeze in more chanels.
digital doesnt mean high def or perfect picture quality either. it can be compressed as much or little as necessary
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Instead of generalities, you could provide us with a link to a market where digital is available without high definition. You claimed there was a lack of HD in many places, because broadcasters were using the spectrum for other purposes, so it should be easy to do, right? In reality, I think you will find that in just about every case wherever there is digital tv, there is a substantial amount of HD, like all the major networks prime time shows. Broadcasters would be shooting themselves in the head to not offer HD, because HD sets are flying out the retailers doors.

HD in the US is specified as either 1080i or 720P, so if you see a show in HD, that is what it is.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
there are a wide variety of HD bandwidths, trimmed for lack of a better term to fit the $ and bandwidth available
I will get some citys that lack high def, and beyond that there are really few high def sets out there, percentage wise to analog ones
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Really, I'd like to see a reference please. Show us any credible reference that has HDTV defined as anything other than 10080i or 720P. It's becoming more and more obvious that you really don't know what you're talking about here. BTW, we're still waiting for a reference that shows one of the "many" markets where digital TV is available, but the bandwith is being used to deliver more std channels, resulting in a lack of HD programming. Of course that reference isn't forthcoming either, because everywhere digital broadcasting is available, similar HD content, eg prime time shows, sports, etc is also available.

Yes, percentage wise there sure are more analog sets than HD ones. But guess what? The percentage of sets with a tuner capable of receiving digital, whether HD or SD, is even less. So, there goes your big argument that many broadcasters are using digital to send more SD, rather than HD. What do you think the folks that just bought a $2000 digital TV want to watch on it? HD or more SD crap?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Really, I'd like to see a reference please. Show us any credible reference that has HDTV defined as anything other than 10080i or 720P. It's becoming more and more obvious that you really don't know what you're talking about here. BTW, we're still waiting for a reference that shows one of the "many" markets where digital TV is available, but
the bandwith is being used to deliver more std channels, resulting in a
lack of HD programming. Of course that reference isn't forthcoming either, because everywhere digital broadcasting is available, similar HD content, eg prime time shows, sports, etc is also available.

Yes, percentage wise there sure are more analog sets than HD ones. But
guess what? The percentage of sets with a tuner capable of receiving digital, whether HD or SD, is even less. So, there goes your big argument that many broadcasters are using digital to send more SD, rather than HD. What do you think the folks that just bought a $2000 digital TV want to watch on it? HD or more SD crap?
Apparently you havent hear of HD lite or pay services using the extra digital channels:( Broadcasters are ONLY interested in making money
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Obviously you are unable to provide even a single reference to back up your claims that:
1 - HD in the US can be defined as resolutions other than 1080i or 720P
2 - There are many markets where there is a lack of HD programming because the digital transmission is being used for more SD programming.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Obviously you are unable to provide even a single reference to back up your claims that:
1 - HD in the US can be defined as resolutions other than 1080i or 720P
2 - There are many markets where there is a lack of HD programming because the digital transmission is being used for more SD programming.
I asked these questions here. There are references all over this site to HD lite. Others there have talked about the pay services rather than full HD feeds.
local broadcasters are hurting, before cable you had 4 or 5 channels to choose from, they owned your eyeballs
now you have hundreds, and net local ratings are way down. Add DVR technology like TIVO, even fewer watching commercials that pay the bills for local channels and the big 4 networks.
Stations are looking for NEW revenue streams. They might supply hoigh def feeds for primetime while using all other times for pay programming of some sort.
satelliteguys is a wonderful site you can learn a lot there. start by searching HD lite
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?pH7584#post487584post487584
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
http://www.stophdlite.com /
site dedicated to stop HD lite
I know what I am talking about:)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.