H/D TV

See

I have an antenna and a box to receive the digital OTA broadcasts. The picure quality is equal to or BETTER than cable. The box I have is called US Digital, and Walmart sells it, but I think they may be discontinuing it.

Randy R

Reply to
Randy R

FCC accelerated the time for all manufacturers to include off the ait ATSC and NTSC tuners in all TV sets by later this year. Previously the ruling only allowed for sets 13" and larger by this year. Pretty soon, you won't be seeing HD monitors where you have to buy the tuner seperately.

I get my HD off a 20 year old roof antenna and get 2x more channels in HD than the cable company puts on the wire and I don't have to pay the $5 extra.

Reply to
PipeDown

  1. They're shutting down the older broadcast system (NTSC). The digital ones (ATSC) can be as free as the older ones.
  2. That date used to be earlier. Government often puts things off multiple times. I'd be surprised to find the change effective in 2009 as currently claimed.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Something wrong if the system keeps dropping channels. It's unlikely that repeated programming will help.

That "big ass cable box" (which may be small) will greatly improve versatility. It will mean you have access to the signal, and can feed it to anything you want (such as a DVD recorder). It would also help you to localize the problem (it is the cable box or the TV?).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Which could be very desirable for privacy reasons.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Which markets are those? Most of prime time is in HD on the major networks. Are you saying that there are many areas that don't have prime time in HD because the locals are choosing to transmit something else? Or sports? Hard to believe, as it would be like cutting their own throats. A reference to the the any of the many places you say this is occuring would be welcome.

Reply to
trader4

It's the best picture you'll get, too, because the cable/satellite compress the video (remember, it's digital) more than your local network.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Re-read the post......I said LOCAL.

Reply to
flansp78

Ya right.....

Reply to
flansp78

flansp78

Almost every prime time show is in HD, hardly a "lack" of content.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Last date for analog broadcasts is February 17, 2009.

Seth Goodman

Huh? Was it you who posted this:

In many markets the local stations arent carrying full high def, they are sending out multiple feeds using the same bandwidth.

The way network transmission gets to folks via OTA has to be through the local affiliate. You seemed to be suggesting that some were choosing to transmit in std def programming that was available in hi def to maximize revenue. I don't think that is the case. I believe all the locals that have digital available are transmitting whatever HD content is available from the networks.

Sure, the local news may not be in high def, by choice of the local affiliate. And daytime soaps from the networks are not in hi def at all, as far as I know. But that doesn't equate with a lack of HD programming because the locals are choosing not to transmit what is available. I think the available HD content doesn't vary all that much by market. If I'm wrong, I'd like to see a reference to a programming guide.

Reply to
trader4

Of course that's when it is NOW. When Feb 17 2009 gets here, that cutoff could be sometime in 2011. Don't forget it's been put off before, and is likely to be again.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Ya right....And you listen to Congress? Thats their statement. FCC rules.....2007

Reply to
flansp78

Stations are free to transmit whatever content they want.

THERE IS NO FCC REQUIREMENT FOR HIGH DEF! EVER! Just the end to analog feeds now postponed to 2009

In some markets there will be no high def. the local broadcasters are selling the multifeed as a cable tv service.

sure the nework offeres high def, but the local affiliate can carry what it wants, and they want $

Even some satellite services are carrying high def light, limiting the bandwidth some to squeeze in more chanels.

digital doesnt mean high def or perfect picture quality either. it can be compressed as much or little as necessary

Reply to
hallerb

Instead of generalities, you could provide us with a link to a market where digital is available without high definition. You claimed there was a lack of HD in many places, because broadcasters were using the spectrum for other purposes, so it should be easy to do, right? In reality, I think you will find that in just about every case wherever there is digital tv, there is a substantial amount of HD, like all the major networks prime time shows. Broadcasters would be shooting themselves in the head to not offer HD, because HD sets are flying out the retailers doors.

HD in the US is specified as either 1080i or 720P, so if you see a show in HD, that is what it is.

Reply to
trader4

there are a wide variety of HD bandwidths, trimmed for lack of a better term to fit the $ and bandwidth available

I will get some citys that lack high def, and beyond that there are really few high def sets out there, percentage wise to analog ones

Reply to
hallerb

That is a possibility.

Digital television has enabled HD in a number of ways that analog couldn't. We had this standard that allocated 6 MHz for a channel that originally carried a monochrome picture and one audio channel.

Then we added colour, then we added stereo (and SAP), and then we wanted to add a higher definition picture. In Japan, they have been using an analog system for broadcasting HD pictures, but in order to do it, they had to use THREE channels to send one programming signal.

With digital technology, compression is easier and more effective and allows an HD picture with 5.1 surround sound to be sent in that same

6 MHz bandwidth. But what if you are only sending a standard definition picture? There is actually space in the channel to send FOUR standard definition pictures when sent digitally! There is also ED (Enhanced Definition) that lies between the two, and you could fit two ED picture signals in a single channel. Unused bandwidth could be used to send just about anything you want digitally.

I had heard that PBS was considering sending FOUR standard definition programs during the daytime and swithing to a single HD program in the evenings. This could allow multiple feeds in a single market to provide schools with different programming. I don't know if this idea has been scrapped, or perhaps implemented in a small number of markets.

I would suspect that any possible extra commercial revenue from sending multiple channels of programming in lower definition might be offset by the extra costs in providing the extra programming. If the network is providing an HD feed, why not just broadcast it that way, especially since some of your viewing audience has invested in the equipment and would like to see it that way. If you broadcasted it in ED or even standard, in order to use the rest of the bandwidth for other programming, you have to get that programming from somewhere. There will be some costs to that, even if it is hiring staff to operate a VCR to press the play button.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Really, I'd like to see a reference please. Show us any credible reference that has HDTV defined as anything other than 10080i or 720P. It's becoming more and more obvious that you really don't know what you're talking about here. BTW, we're still waiting for a reference that shows one of the "many" markets where digital TV is available, but the bandwith is being used to deliver more std channels, resulting in a lack of HD programming. Of course that reference isn't forthcoming either, because everywhere digital broadcasting is available, similar HD content, eg prime time shows, sports, etc is also available.

Yes, percentage wise there sure are more analog sets than HD ones. But guess what? The percentage of sets with a tuner capable of receiving digital, whether HD or SD, is even less. So, there goes your big argument that many broadcasters are using digital to send more SD, rather than HD. What do you think the folks that just bought a $2000 digital TV want to watch on it? HD or more SD crap?

Reply to
trader4