Gutters, downspouts, sewerlines & Ivan

Hi,

My girlfriend's house has 5 downspouts, each of which empty into the sewer. Nonetheless, she STILL had water in her basement. I've looked at her gutters and they are clear. What's going on?

Thanks, Ed Stuart

Reply to
Ed Stuart

This is what happens when you build a house in a bog.

Is the water coming up through the floor, or sideways through a rubble wall? Is the cellar finished? how's the area graded? Is there a sump?

Reply to
default

You think all of the rain is just going on the roof?

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Too much water in too short a time - I have a fully waterproofed basement with complex drains, sump pump, etc. Still got water in the basement - and then the power went off and the sump pump quit...I have never seen water in my basement in the 8 years I have lived in this house.

Water fell like an ocean here in Atlanta - there was a foot of water on my patio and I was out "sweeping" with a broom in the pelting rain to keep it from coming under the doors. All the downspouts were running full tilt - water blew in sideways through my ridge vents.

I've never seen anything like it here.

Ed Stuart wrote:

Reply to
Sterling

Also, in many areas, it's illegal to empty rainwater into the sewer system.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

The cellar is psudo-finished. She has wood paneling up on 60% of the walls. It looks like the wateris coming in sideways through the block. The home is situated midway on a hill side. There is no sump.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed Stuart

Re-grade the uphill side, to direct water from upslope around the house instead of through/under it.

Reply to
default

The sewer pipe may have been full due to all the water it was getting from upstream(uphill). If so none of her water was getting into the sewer, it would have just poured out through every leak in the down spouts and pipe, onto the saturated ground, and into the basement. My down spouts run through some buried 4" pipe and then daylight about 30 feet from the house. The only times I've had water in the basement was the 2 occasions when the outlet of the 4" pipe got clogged. (and when there's more than a few inches of snow the outlet is darned hard to find).

ron herfurth

Reply to
Ron Herfurth