Gutter Talk

Havin' posted a rebuke of a national gutter chain, I now need info on the gutter-guard type systems.
Are there any of these systems that actually work like they are touted too work?
In a heavy down-pour, will the water still find its way to the gutter, or will it just wash off of the top of the gutter-guard plate, by-passing the gutter and flowing from the roof directly to the ground beneath?
Can I buy components (gutter, guard, down-spouts...etc.) and do the job myself--assumin' that these systems actually work?
My mother's house has a metal roof, so how is the fascia board protected from back-wash with these systems?
TIA
Mark H. Bowen --a/k/a Mr. Opus McDopus, Opie, Op--

AJ

Either you are a person of VERY few words, AJ, or you have your 'puter set for html, cause what you see above is all that I received of your post.
Op --and let's not even discuss this sheep thing, what with the US S.C. rulin' the other day! I mean what will they legalize next? Not that there's anything wrong with it and all.--
I think you will find that they all work ... some. I think you will also find that they all make cleaning harder, if less often.
Some of the systems have local issues, like some sort of plant that they don't handle well or a problem with ice or snow.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
FWIW, when I had my roof re-done last Fall, the roofing contractor told me that the Gutter Guard type units were not very good in our area, especially with pine needles and those little orange ball things that are all over right now. Plus he mentioned that if they get clogged, they are almost impossible to clean.
Mike
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:11:28 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I have been shopping this issue for a few weeks now with no definitive results. The most promising thing I have found is snap in plastic panels at Lowes that very closely mimic the leaf guard system style gutter. Leaf guard is much to fond of their product for me to force them to sell it to me.
I don't know if this will work on your metal roof or not. You need to slide about 2-3" under the edge of your existing shingles. Sorry I failed to write down the product name.
Colbyt
thought processes with these words:

I STRONGLY advise against the cheapo junk they sell at Lowe's and HD. Take my word for it, they are junk. Some people might say they work ok for them, but these people don't have anything else to reference.
I invite you to look at Steelco gutter screens. The web site is www.gutterscreen.net. I am the webmaster of the site. I have also done several installations with the product. I won't do a sales pitch here in the newsgroup. The web site gives a good description of the product, and it will install nicely on your Mom's metal roof. I am currently working on the "metal roof installation" page. Message me from the web site if you want more info on this. Retail pricing is also available on the site.
Cu
exposed the nature of his/her

As a general rule I don't contradict someone unless I feel their advice is 100% wrong or potentially a danger. Your persistence in promoting this product in a non-commercial newsgroup causes an exception.
Your product is not all that different from most of the gutter guard crap on the market. The product I mentioned is new, different and possibly effective. I shared the information for others to use and evaluate as they deemed correct.
Colbyt
thought processes with these words:

My participation in on-topic threads in not commercial. If it were, I could do a helluva lot better at promoting the product. I seems that because I am associated with the manufacturer, ANY mention of the product name or web site is considered spam. If I were not associated with the manufacturer, no one would care. I readily volunteered my association to the manufacturer and offered what I felt was a brief and informative piece of info. If you're offended by that, that's your problem dude. I have not posted any ads here. I have only offered the product for consideration in appropriate threads, and in a non-aggressive manor. I access this group from my home, on my time, as a private individual with an interest in the many subjects discussed here.

You obviously have little or no hands-on experience with any of the products you talk about, and zero experience with the product of my association (Steelco). There is a huge difference that may not be so obvious until you handle the various products. That's where users helping users comes into play.

Likewise, I shared my info for others to evaluate as they deem appropriate for their needs and purposes. I have evaluated most of the gutter protection products on the market to one degree or another and spoken with installers, contractors and homeowners about them. From that, I have formed certain opinions and perceptions. I share those here. That said, the Lowe's web site shows one item that I am not familiar with, and therefor my comments don't apply to that product (the sheerflow filter). As for the rest, I stand by my comments.
Over the past couple of years, I have spoken with dozens of people who have installed the low-end products (aluminum screens and vinyl covers), nearly all of whom were disappointed with their performance. There was the occasional homeowner who was satisfied with the product, at least for what they paid.
Maybe my comments were too strongly worded concerning the cheapo products. In light-duty situations, some people are satisfied with them. But in my experience, not many.
Cu
thought processes with these words:

My participation in on-topic threads is not commercial, in my view. If it were, I could do a helluva lot better at promoting the product. It seems that because I am associated with the manufacturer, ANY mention of the product name or web site is considered spam. If I were not associated with the manufacturer, you wouldn't care. I readily volunteered my association to the manufacturer and offered what I felt was a brief and informative piece of info. If you're offended by that, that's your problem dude. I have not posted any ads here. I have only offered the product for consideration in appropriate threads, and in a non-aggressive manor. I access this group from my home, on my time, as a private individual with an interest in the many subjects discussed here.

You obviously have little or no hands-on experience with any of the products you talk about, and zero experience with the product of my association (Steelco). There is a huge difference that may not be so obvious until you handle the various products.

Likewise, I shared my info for others to evaluate as they deem appropriate for their needs and purposes. I have evaluated most of the gutter protection products on the market to one degree or another and spoken with installers, contractors and homeowners about them. From that, I have formed certain opinions and perceptions. I share those here. I stand by my comments.
Over the past couple of years, I have spoken with dozens of people who have installed the low-end products (aluminum screens and vinyl covers), nearly all of whom were disappointed with the performance of those products. There was the occasional homeowner who was satisfied with the product, at least for what they paid.