Gutter screen

Re: Gutter screen

I gotta little brick bungalow with standard-looking seamless aluminum (I think 5") gutters. Have needed gutter protection for years.

How is the vinyl gutter screen? I'm looking at Frost King (vinyl) snap-in gutter screen, 6 3/8 " wide, 3' long for $1.29 a piece. Is this stuff a good bet?

Thanx, Puddin'

******************************************************* *** Puddin' Man Pudding_Man at mail.com *** *******************************************************;
Reply to
Puddin' Man

I have some plastic/vinyl thingys. They warp in the heat. Fall out.

I'm now installing 6" aluminium screens (comes on a 20' roll). Slip one edge under the last row of shingles, screw the other edge to the leading edge of the gutter.

Check back in a year or so and I'll let you know how it works out.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Find neighbors with the same kind of trees around their house and see what works for them. Some of these things are worse than nothing, and the good ones are not good for all kinds of litter. So even if I could tell you that XYZ worked great for me and pine needles, it might be worthless for your oak leaves.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I used the vinyl screen on my home. It has worked for over 10 years, but I still check the gutters and clean as needed every year. Without the guards, my gutters would quickly clog up.

Reply to
Phisherman

What is group's opinion on NOT HAVING gutters at all? Advantages? Problems? Initial cost saving? No gutter maintenance or cleaning? Less/more likelihood of damp or rot in roof eaves? Just curious, cos we don't have any!

Reply to
Terry

I tried this stuff on my garage. The small junk from the madrona went right through it. the pine needles and leaves piled on top til it sagged. I had to remove it to clean the gutters. I finally decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

For a while we lived in a townhouse with no gutters. Water poured straight off the roof into the window well and flooded the basement.

MB

On 08/25/04 10:26 am Terry put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

We have a swimming pool in our basement without maintained gutters with downspouts that carry the water at least 5 feet away from the house. With them we have no problems. If you've got a slab foundation, forget gutters other than over entrances.

Reply to
tgilb

Leafguard brand gutters with built in top worked for me. Screens and add on helmets were a waste of money.

Reply to
Art

I doubt I'd have this problem. Just oak-leafs, "flying seeds", etc.

So would I. Also to hammer nails back in, maybe add fasteners.

I tested a 3 ' section of the Frost King stuff this morn. Couldn't get it back out. Wrestled, finagled and tortured. Finally removed it by cutting the 3 ' length down the middle with tin-snips.

Thanks. Thats the way it looks to me right now.

I hate to leave the gutters open cause climbing the ladder is getting less practical all the time (health issues), but I dunno what else to do.

Thanks to all.

Puddin'

******************************************************* *** Puddin' Man Pudding_Man at mail.com *** *******************************************************;
Reply to
Puddin' Man

Same here.

I dunno about that. In the long-term, extra water can deteriorate the concrete slab, and lack of gutters might violate building codes.

Puddin'

******************************************************* *** Puddin' Man Pudding_Man at mail.com *** *******************************************************;
Reply to
Puddin' Man

No gutters at all work in some areas. If there is a good slope away from all sides of the house and stone or gravel to handle the splashing. I have noticed lower-priced homes (without basements) in my area to lack gutters. Keeping the area around the foundation dry has many advantages--less rot, fewer insects, less chance of leaks, ice heaving, etc.

Reply to
Phisherman

Puddin':

PM> I gotta little brick bungalow with standard-looking PM> seamless aluminum (I think 5") gutters. Have needed PM> gutter protection for years. PM> PM> How is the vinyl gutter screen? I'm looking at PM> Frost King (vinyl) snap-in gutter screen, 6 3/8 " PM> wide, 3' long for $1.29 a piece. Is this stuff a PM> good bet?

As others indicated, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Around here they don't. Used a brand "recommended" by the roofing guy

-- in fact he installed as a side job/after-the-fact. Don't know the brand but were a whitish/very light grey perforated vinyl panel about

3' long by 6" wide.

Maple seeds (the 'helicopters') got stuck in the holes and eventually fell through. The gutter on the side of the house without any trees nearby was clogged in two places last spring, middle and near the downspout. The roof line is some 20' in the air. Other gutter sections with trees nearby were similarly clogged. Since removing the gutter guards we have not had stoppages.

  • He does not act like a total butt; he develops Rectal-Cranial Inversion.
Reply to
barry martin

Terry:

T > What is group's opinion on NOT HAVING gutters at all? T > Advantages? T > Problems? T > Initial cost saving? T > No gutter maintenance or cleaning? T > Less/more likelihood of damp or rot in roof eaves? T > Just curious, cos we don't have any!

Here we definately have the occasional water-in-the-basement problem so we want to get roof water away from the house. Except for that little problem we'd probably go gutterless; probably have to have some sort of splash reduction method at the drip line.

(The basement water problem is due more to the water table rising than a landcaping issue.)

  • Air Force should hold bake sales to get money, not school
Reply to
barry martin

madrona

top

I have a 10 foot length of copper pipe with a ball valve at one end and a nozzle and some 90 degree pipe fittings at the other. The fittings allow me to aim the nozzle. I connect this to my high powered air compressor, and can clean most of my gutters quickly from the ground. Someone makes a kit of extensions for a leaf blower to do the same job.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

In the basement and with a long, long hose?

Interesting. Assuming you contrived the rig yourself, I render a tip o' dee hat for inventiveness.

Come to think of it, I saw a neighbor with such a device a few months ago. Probably should've asked him if it worked well.

I had to install little aluminum mesh filters at the top of the downspouts years ago to keep the downspouts from clogging.

Judging from the hideous crud I've cleaned outa the mesh in years past, I 'spect that air pressure on wet crud could make a big mess, and air pressure on dried crud wouldn't clean sufficiently (crud looked like it was welded in there). Takes forever for 'em to dry if there's a clog anyway.

But water pressure might. Wonder if I could devise an attachment to a garden hose (I don't gotta compressor anyway). Would still be messy, but ... food for thought.

Thanks for your response.

Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

PM> But water pressure might. Wonder if I could devise PM> an attachment to a garden hose (I don't gotta compressor PM> anyway). Would still be messy, but ... food for thought.

Possibly using the upside-down-J-shaped piece for an add-on shower head? (When the shower head is not installed inside the wall it is possible to connect a pipe to a diverter with an external outlet. The one we have is for an old-fashioned tub; used brass adapters even though the pipe is chrome. The adapters didn't come in chrome.)

  • Filthy stinking rich --- two out of three ain't bad!
Reply to
barry martin