Gutter guards for leaves and "helicopters"

Page 2 of 2

I installed something called Gutter Filter in my new house eavestroughs. Works pretty good for two summers now. Google will find it.
It is a triangular black plastic spongey material that you just push into the trough. It is a bit over-sized so its own springy pressure holds it in place. The triangular shape leaves some of the flow area open for water flow under the filter.
Leaves just sit on top and blow off. The only problems are at roof valleys where dirt and small seeds build up on the top of the filter and partially block the flow - I haven't seen any overflowing gutters but I went up and blew the crap off with a leaf blower; only took a few minutes.
We have a lot of very high oak and elm trees and get a ton of leaves so these gutters would have been murder to keep clear without something.
The filter is very coarse so fine sand would get through but nothing larger. It's not perfect but way better than nothing.
Our winters are very cold and I chose this system because I figure it might be better at dealing with snow and ice. Not sure if others wouldn't have been as good.