Gutter Guard?

I belong to a little 1-story brick bungalow in a midwest US city, built in 1954, with detached 2-car garage. Both structures have shingled roofs.

I wanted to install some sort of GG maybe 10 years ago, even bought a section or 2 to test installation. What kept me from full installation was, I couldn't figure how to remove the damn things, short of going after 'em with a sawzall. I can imagine going 10, maybe 15 years without needing to remove 'em, but eventually I assume the need will arise.

I see Homey-Depot has something titled "AMERIMAX HOME PRODUCTS Hinged Gutter Guard":

Has anyone recently installed removable/hinged GG (any brand)? Does it work OK? Can ya really get inside the gutter if needed?

Thx, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

I used the snap in kind. All sorts of issues but they do work. First is your roofing company won't like them. May even void your warranty. Second is they tend to get clogged if you leave the added screen in them.

I just leave the ones in "loose" where the gutters tend to clog. ie: by the drains and in corners.

If I had to do it over I'd get professional gutter guard type gutters, but barring that, this seems to be a cheap fix. At least I don't have to clean the gutters every time it rains.

FWIW: My roofing co saw my gutter guards and didn't say anything.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

JimT wrote in news:SP6dnQVn7ogSlS_QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.toastnet:

I had a good family owned company install mine. They are great.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

work OK? Can ya

Don't get the ones with holes that have a screen covering the holes, the screen cogs. The snap-in type with 1/2 in holes work fine here in Chicago suburbs, they keep the big crap out, and the holes are big enought that you can squirt a hose through at an angle to flush things toward the downspouts.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Gutter Guard":

t work OK? Can ya

I just saw a type that was new to me at Sam's Club. Don;t remember the product name, but it was essentially a wedge shape open mesh. Picture a triangle with one side the width of the top of the gutter, another side about the depth of the gutter, and the third side running from the top of one side of the gutter to the bottom of the other side. You just shove it in the gutter. Result is that the top of the gutter is now flat and you have another triangle shaped opening left inside the gutter for water to flow freely. It does reduce the available free flow area by 50%, but it would have to be an extreme rain for that to matter.

Biggest issues I can think of are if the mesh stuff can eventually get clogged with small debris and how long it lasts.

Reply to
trader4

I used these (they aren't hinged), and they are working well for me.

The Amerimax gutter covers cost $1 per foot. I have Maples on three sides of the house and I had to clean the gutters twice a year. They don't just keep the leaves out, they keep the small stuff out too.

They are similar in type to the much more expensive Gutter Helmet, if those are sold in your area.

I was worried that they would let water fall straight to the ground in heavy rain, but that has not been the case. My house has a shallow roof angle, so if your roof is steep, your results might not be as good.

Downsides to these are the can be difficult to install, and being only four feet in length, you will see many seams. I picked the gray color, and as I had hoped, they don't stand out.

Install issues I had: They don't always want to snap onto the gutter properly. I eventually learned that it helps to run a blunt tool down the groove that snaps to the gutter, with the purpose being to spread the groove out a bit.

My house has a hip roof, and installation at the corners were troublesome. The roofing nails came too close to the gutters at the corners (the guard slides up under the shingles) so I had to trim the guard so it would fit. Plus they had to be trimmed at 45 degrees (again, due to the hip roof) on the corners.

Gutter Helmet costs a few thousand dollars, so for the $160 it cost to do my house I am very happy with the results.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

(snip)>

I'd like to second these results. I installed mine about 5 years ago and have had no clogging problems with them installed on a 10 pitch roof. The one problem area is an inside corner where a valley empties. The water velocity is such that heavy rains overshoot the gutter. A deflector placed at the bottom of the valley helped but didn't entirely solve the problem.

Reply to
Catwatcher

Thanks for numerous responses.

I still don't see how I'd get inside the gutters if the need arose.

But I gotta do something. A single little red maple on a neighbors property produced enough twizzlers to clog my recently cleared gutters, rain poured over the side of the gutter until a little chip come off the basement wall and it started pissing water on the floor. I was running around like crazy trying to save the rugs, etc.

Are you sure the twizzlers won't clog the Homey-Flogging-Depot gutter guard (Model # 85320) forcing the water over the side?

Thx, Will

Wilfred Xavier Pickles