gutter drip edge problems

The gutters on my home leak in several places between the fascia board and the gutters. The gutters are continuous aluminum with spike and ferrule hangers nailed directly into the fascia board. There is a metal drip edge installed above the gutters. The slope of the roof is gradual (about 25 degrees) and it has standard asphault shingles. The shingles overhang the metal drip edge. The problem is especially noticable at both ends on the front of the house. The front gutter run is 65 feet long.

It looks like the previous owner may have sloped the gutter too much at the ends, and the top of the gutter is more than 2" below the bottom of the drip edge at both ends of the run. In the middle, the drip edge overlaps the top of the gutter. Isn't the sloping supposed to be in the fascia board, and not the gutter against the board? It also looks like the metal drip edge was installed so that the dripping line is in direct contact with the fascia board. When it rains, the water runs down the drip edge, onto the board and drips to the ground, bypassing the gutter.

I found a product from Gutters Direct, called a No Drip Strip

that looks like it should solve the problem. It looks to be a strip of aluminum flashing, maybe 2" wide. Plain aluminum flashing might work just as well. Perhaps if I inserted the drip strip behind the drip edge and let it hang into the gutter (nailing it into the fascia board), it would keep the water in the proper channel. I've also heard about a similar product that's asphault, that has self-adhesive and can be rolled out and inserted in a similar way. The asphault product has a vapor barrier, supposedly to prevent mildew problems.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? Should I just remove the drip edge pieces pull them forward maybe 0.5", and renail them to the roof? Perhaps this would solve the problem if the drip edge dripped off into space, rather than against the wood. If I install aluminum flashing, will this cause a problem with mold? Has anyone seen the asphault type of product? The house is in a heavily wooded area.

Any advice much appreciated.

Reply to
wgadsby

I had the same problem and used the strip of aluminium no drop strip to resolve it. It works great now.

Reply to
Randd01