Gutter cost in MA

i just rec'd a quote for replacing the gutters on my house, and would like second opinions on whether the cost is excessive. I wanted seamless aluminum gutters, for my 2-story colonial house that has a footprint of 45 x 20 w/ 16 corners. The contractor quoted me $7500 for the gutters w/ the leafguard on it, $5500 w/out it. And the garage would have been $750 extra. Included in this price was $1300 to rip down the current gutters, but the price didn't include replacement of any rotten fascia boards (which would be $10/ft).

Does this seem exorbitant to anyone? It was double what i was expecting. Now i kinda realize that there is no point in doing seamless gutters b/c there's only one part of the house that exceeds

15', so by going w/ seamless vs. non-seamless i'm only eliminating one or two seams.

Anyone have ballpark estimates (in boston metro) for how much a standard aluminum gutter installation would cost? And how much would copper cost?

Reply to
davidmc

There's no such thing as "standard" in houses. Get more quotes (at least three) and ask your neighbors for references if they've had gutters installed recently. Copper will be ALOT more.

Reply to
siralfred

Sounds awefully high, though I haven't had gutters put up in some time. Then it was something like $2.50/ft and they took the old stuff down as part of the deal. Again, it was a long time ago so perhaps double that. If you're going to put up new gutters, I'd look into putting up aluminum facia at the same time. ...no more worries about rot (and it's cheap).

You can buy material a lot longer than 15'. I bought 28' long stuff for my garage. Fortunately, the roofing supply place I bought it was owned by an acquaintence, so it came delivered. ;-)

Ask at Sears and the Borg or call someone in the yellow pages. IME, they have a per-foot price.

Reply to
Keith Williams

Just had it done in Texas; $3.50/foot. For your house (45x20 = 130 x 2 = 260 linear feet x 3.50 = $910.00.

Plus maybe another $100/year in taxes for increased property evaluation.

I think, from a contractor, seamless gutters are probably cheaper - He can carry 1000' on a roll in the back of a van instead of ten pieces in a twenty-foot truck. Also, there's no waste when using seamless if he needs a three-foot bit.

Reply to
HeyBub