Gun lobby always wins

Page 1 of 9
Short-term furor over assassination of a Federal judge (!) and possible murder (hope not!) of a national legislator, along with murder of a 9-year-old child and other innocents.
Furor will soon die down. Nothing will be done. The gun lobby will continue to pay off the whores in Congress who defeat every attempt at REASONABLE regulation with shrill misreadings of the 2nd Amendment.
So assault rifles and other multiple-fire devices will continue to be sold -- to kill little Bambi in the forest, as the NRA piously pretends.
And you can still go to a gun show and buy any lethal weapon for sale no matter if you are a terrorist or "merely" a psychotic killer.
It's so pitifully obvious that the "men" who need lethal weapons to prove their manhood are really nothing but scared, sick little children inside.
HB
A well armed society is a very polite one. Things could have been different if the shooter had been taken out earlier than it took for two people to tackle him down. And who would not have the guns with the regulations you propose? Same as before.
The guy used a semi-automatic. Pull the trigger, it shoots.
Next time you go to a McDonalds, hope that if someone starts shooting, a customer will be armed and know what to do. Because I'll bet you are neither.

That is the theory put forth, but unfortunately that concept won't work either. There will be lots of people with guns that don't know how to use them, how to shoot without taking out bystanders, and using them in anger -- as we see street gangs doing.
In my area we have "licensed drivers" who should know how to drive a car, they do drive cars, but have no concept of how to drive them in snow, which we have lots of. They don't think that you cannot cut in between two other cars or pull out in front of other moving cars or make sharp turns.
The theory for drivers, just like gun owners, is that they will know how and what to do in all situations, but they just don't know and the result is disaster. More guns will make more disasters, just as more car drivers create more disasters on the roads.

Your analogy is off the mark. Increased CCW has not resulted in "more disasters".
Check the FBI's data.... I'll put my money on the armed citizen. They kill more bad guys than the police and they kill fewer "good guys" by mistake.
The reason being..... they typically have better situational intel, they are there from start to finish and know the good guys from the bad guys. The police arrive on scene and if the shooting has already started have very time to assess the situation.
DD_BobK wrote:

Right. The anti-gun crowd often puts forth the rhetorical question: "When the police arrive, how are they to know who the bad guy is if everybody is armed?"
The answer to that is easy: "The bad guy is the one on the ground bleeding out from multiple gunshot wounds."
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:47:27 -0500, "EXT"

People have been parroting that nonsense forever but you know what... there is no place in the US that has liberalized their gun laws that subsequently saw ANY of your silly claims happen. In fact, places that get rid of laws that hamstring law-abiding citizens ability to carry a gun almost invariably see a reduction in violent crime. The UK and Australia both outlawed private guns and both saw very large increases in violent crime rates. This isn't opinion, it's fact. Unfortunately, there are too many people who refuse to look at the facts and keep putting out the kind of nonsense you are that has no basis in reality.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Good point. I'll add that no entity that has liberalized its gun laws has seen fit to rescind that liberalization.
That is, no state that's adopted "shall issue" concealed weapons permits, open carry, or anything else along these lines, has discovered that it made a terrible mistake and repealed the laws they previously passed. There has been some fine tuning. In my state a restriction was added to prohibit carrying of a concealed weapon anywhere within 1000' of a scheduled execution. We're working on getting back to sanity on that one. Every one predicts that with overwhelming Republican majorities in both houses of our legislature plus a Republican governor, we'll be able to get more common-sense gun laws on the books. Such things as concealed carry on college campuses, open carry, restoring the right to felons, and so forth.
Today, in all states but two (Wisconsin and Illinois), plus the District of Columbia, it is possible for a private citizen to carry a pistol concealed. Such a thing was almost unheard of until Florida became essentially the first to legitimize concealed carry in 1987. My state went from no concealed carry (none, not at all, no way) in 1995 to having over 400,000 license holders today.
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:57:23 -0800 (PST), The Ghost in The Machine

Plonk

Another tidbit that is almost never talked about is that the police are as likely to be shot by themselves or another cop about as often as they are shot by an adversary. One report on this at the LAPD is here
http://www.optacinternational.com/officersafety/pdfs/Article_Accid.pdf
Unfortunately I no longer have the reference to another report that found that the average cop in a 20 year career will never fire his weapon other then for training on the range and that if he is shot it will most likely be by accidentally shooting himself or by being accidentally shot by another cop.

Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others.
I'm responsible not only defending my own life, but also the life of my family. I cannot do that with a pointy stick.
Michael B wrote:

He doesn't have to wait for something that may never happen.
He could put a sign in his front yard: "There are no guns in this house."

His neighbor should put the "no guns in the house next door" sign out.
On 1/10/2011 3:48 PM mike spake thus:

I'm sure as you write that you feel all noble and manly and stuff, but to me it just makes you sound like a caveman.
What are the police, chopped liver?

They are *NOT* required to save your life. Only you have that responsibility. That a good thing because you're there, they aren't.

HOW long does it take police to arrive after you've called 911? some folks have found out the hard way that police may not get there in time to be of any good for you. They may not come AT ALL! They may be busy elsewhere. In the LA riots,police REFUSED to enter the riot zone. People had to rely on their own firearms to defend themselves.

you cannot sue police for failing to protect you.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Well said. And don't forget Katrina/N.O.

On 1/10/2011 7:44 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

township, there are only about 20 of them, 6 or so per shift. And they are also the firemen, so if a barn is burning down, or the weather is bad and there are several car wrecks, well, they will be by in the morning to fill out the paperwork.
Disclaimer- I'm no gun nut. But 60-odd years ago, my family had to move halfway around the world because the general population where they lived didn't have guns. Discretion being the better part of valor, I picked a low-crime area to move to (versus the apartments I used to live in), and I avoid the parts of town where packing a gun 'proves' manhood. I hope I never have any reason to use a gun against a living creature, even some criminal scum. But I will not be prey for harvesting.
BTW, in comment on a previous post, look up the US Code definition of 'militia'. It doesn't mean the national guard. It means all able-bodied adults. Originally just the males, but now females are included as well. In the context of that now-obscure definition, and the similarly old definition of 'well regulated', the 2nd makes perfect sense as written.
--
aem sends...

The police have no duty to protect any of us as individuals, only a generalized duty to protect society. As such they cannot be held responsible for harm caused by their failure to act. The LAPD certainly did a wonder job in BOTH of the LA riots in my life time.
Sounds like your place of residence needs a sign....
To whom it may concern, there are no firearms in this residence.

They are usually too far away to get there in time.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Giggle.
Whatever the police are - chopped liver or holes for donuts - the one thing they are not is where the problem is.
When I went through the police academy, one instructor hammered the theme: "The police seldom see the perpetrator, but they always see the victim." Experience proved him correct.
Look at the aerial shots of the Gifford shooting.
The parking lot is chock-a-block full of police cars and ambulances. Every one of them, EVERY SINGLE ONE, arrived after the damage had been done.