Guide to electric air compressors for home shops

Page 1 of 3  
..There are six things you need to know about compressors: The maximum PRESSURE that it develops, the rated VOLUME it can deliver, the amount of compressed air it can STORE, how LONG the motor can run (which is also known as "duty cycle"), how much electrical POWER it's going to take to run, and how much NOISE it's going to make....
Continued: http://atu.ca/AirCompressors
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DC wrote:

Hi, Also whether compressor is lubricated or not. Never get non-lubricated one. I have a Campbell Hauser Extreme duty belt driven compressor which can be powered by either 120V or 208V. I am running it on 120V plugged into regular wall outlet in the garage. For what I do it is adequate. It can even blow sprinklers in the fall.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you are talking about using the compressor only for power tools and general use, I agree with the lubricated vs non-lubricated. If you plan to use that compressor for painting, I would recommend the non- lubricated. You don't want oil in the lines when painting.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:21:06 -0800 (PST), BobR cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Not true. A lubricated compressor is better for all wood shop uses than an oilless compressor. The oilless models are throw away, light duty, short lived compressors, and they make a ton of noise. Whether the compressor is lubricated with oil or not has no bearing on its use for painting. I think what you were thinking of was whether to use a line oiler. Certainly, if you're going to paint with that system, do not install a line oiler. Simply oil your tools through the chuck, as needed.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
BobR wrote:

Good luck finding a single automotive paint shop, or pro business in general that gets by with an oil-less compressor. They're noisy, hot running things that burn out if you run them too hard. A good oil lubricated compressor exhausts a negligible amount of oil, and you need a really good filter and moisture separater in the line for painting anyway.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Admittedly, my post does not dovetail with this thread since you're talking electric motor driven compressors. However, I simply must brag and chortle about my air cooled DIESEL milsurp air compressor. Apparently it was designed to air up tires on jets. It's similar to the "wheel barrow" compressors that carpenters use. It has a single tank and a two stage compressor (175 psi!) compressor, belt driven by a Yanmar 3 hp, fuel sipping, air cooled engine. It is well balanced and light weight. It CHURNS out air. It starts from a battery or with a rope. I swoon over its efficiency, reliability, and fuel economy. In fact, I think I'll go give it a hug right now. Vernon
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Admittedly, my post does not dovetail with this thread since you're talking electric motor driven compressors. However, I simply must brag and chortle about my air cooled DIESEL milsurp air compressor. Apparently it was designed to air up tires on jets. It's similar to the "wheel barrow" compressors that carpenters use. It has a single tank and a two stage compressor (175 psi!) compressor, belt driven by a Yanmar 3 hp, fuel sipping, air cooled engine. It is well balanced and light weight. It CHURNS out air. It starts from a battery or with a rope. I swoon over its efficiency, reliability, and fuel economy. In fact, I think I'll go give it a hug right now. Vernon
Now Vernon, you weren't over there squeezing her jugs now were you?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Up North. Noooo. But I was tweaking her nipples! V
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

175 lb. is not enough pressure for many Jet aircraft tires, and most of the time dry nitrogen is used because of that fact. I remember a couple of jets taking 250 lb. in the mains. The Jetstar was one.
John
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
john wrote:

If I ever have a JetStar then I'll worry about getting a bigger compressor.
Geez, how rich do you think that the people hanging out here _are_?
--
--
--John
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J. Clarke wrote:

I'm so poor my prop only has one blade...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Morris Dovey wrote:

You've got a prop? Why in my day we had to flap our arms . . .
--
--
--John
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J. Clarke wrote:

If God had meant men to fly, we would have been born with a propeller.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:00:30 -0500, "J. Clarke"

And some only had one arm!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

And half the time it was a left arm.
--

I may not understand what you say, but I will defend to your death my
right to deny it.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Step 1. Decide what you need.
Step 2. Multiply that by 1.5 - 2.0
Step 3. Shop for a high quality two stage, or a two piston oil crank compressor if you only need a small one.
Step 4. Consider used, as you can sometimes get a killer deal on a big one.
Step 5. Install it right, electrically, piping, and air dryer.
Step 6. Enjoy and use, knowing you won't fry it, overwork it, or have it fall short when you need it the most.
My observations from not following these steps.
Steve
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And noise. Put it somewhere NOT where the people are. Use big shock mounts and flexible lines to avoid coupling.
--
A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com
& no one will talk to a host that\'s close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
James Sweet wrote:

Some of the auto paint shops in my area have switched to turbines and HVLP guns for use with water based finishes that get destroyed by the smallest amount of oil.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

All the advice in the article is good stuff. One critical point is missing, however, The author should have added a section named "Delivery". More power is wasted by undersized or over long hoses and restrictive couplings than any other feature. The ubiquitous 1/4" Milton M fittings almost everyone buys are serious offenders in that respect. That is why so many shops for years kept buying air compressors with higher and higher tank pressure ratings. The currently popular 175 PSI rating is absurdly dangerous because design parameters of most air tools are by regulation pegged at 90 PSI. Milton some years ago introduced the "V" series plugs and couplers. These have substantially higher flow rates than the "M" series which 98% of the lads reading this now have in their shop. The specs are listed in the Milton catalog available (PDF) online. I converted my shop some time ago when they were first introduced to improve my HVLP paint systems. Couple this with a good quality 3/8" air hose (throw out those wretched 1/4" hoses) and a modest 125 PSI compressor will serve you very well for everything but removing earth mover wheels. The laws of physics will work for you if you let them.
Joe
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Joe wrote:

General rule for air compressors is buy the biggest one you can afford, because you always seem to need more air later than you thought. Mine is a "5HP" (yeah right) oiled reciprocating compressor which is just *barely* adequate to run my abrasive blasting cabinet. Had I know I'd get one of those, I'd have bought a larger compressor in the first place, though what I have is about as big as you can run from a 120V circuit.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.