Grouting new tile question

Finished putting up 4"x4" ceramic tile around the bathtub and other places. This is the first time I've done tile.

Does the small gap between the top of the tub and the bottom of the tile get grouted, or, do you use the "tub & tile" caulk? If the answer is "tub & tile" caulk then, obviously, I need to caulk first before I start smearing grout all over the place. Or, do you do both. Grout the gap first and then seal it with "tub & tile" caulk?

Please advise. Thanks.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I was told to use 100% silicone caulk for wet areas. If you choose your grout carefully, you can get the caulk to match (not perfectly, in my experience). Tile stores sell a few caulk colors of 100% silicone caulk. They can match any of their grout colors in caulk that is not as good for truly wet areas.

I was also told to caulk where walls meet - the corners.

I did the grout first. It's easy to scrape out grout where you don't want it. It is harder to keep the caulk where you want it and out of grout you don't want it on. Judicious use of masking tape helps. I have thought about doing caulk first, so if you try it, let me know how it works. I'm working on another bathroom now.

Reply to
Bob F

Grout first, you can scrape it out of where it doesn't belong before it sets. I always caulk whenever there is a change in plane like corners and where the tile meets another material like the tub or where the tile ends on the wall.

Like Bob I have never caulked first. I think that even after the caulk has cured the grout will ruin the appearance of the caulk.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Caulk after grouting, do it with the tub full of water so the weight opens the joint as far as possible for the best job. Rake any grout from the joint before it sets.

Reply to
beecrofter

Excellent point.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Thanks everybody for the quick and thoughtful answers!!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary