Grouting Ceramic Floor Tiles

I have a ceramic floor which I installed directly on the plywood subfloor about 15 years ago. While the tiles are fine, in the last couple of years the grout tends to crack and needs to be replaced every couple of months. Now, I know that there is material that you can put down prior to laying the floor, but what I would like to know is if there is any new types of grout that would flex and not crack? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
-- Take out the trash to reply

i suppose you could use silicone, but it would look weird.
grouts don't flex. they're cement. if the subfloor isn't good enough, it's best to tear it up and redo it to make it stiffer. perhaps if you have access to the underside of the floor, you can make it better from that side instead of tearing up the tiles.
Charlie Spitzer wrote:

I was thinking of grout that flexes, i.e, something which is silicone based. -- Take out the trash to reply
Ultraglide wrote:

This is a perfect example of why (in most cases) plywood should not be used for a susstrate. You're lucky you got 15 years fo service. Flexible grout that will substitute for a sub-floor with little or deflection? no..
Make your SO happy and install new tile. Over a properly constructed subfloor and substrate that is. http://www.ttmac.com/deflection_limitations.htm
It was popular here for a brief while to caulk shower stalls with silicone rather than grout. You will be good with a caulk gun by the time you're finished or wish that you were. Do not use any of the "hardware store" silicones. Seek out Dow 795 or equal.
--

Keep the whole world singing. . .
Dan G

(remove the 7)