Grout Removal

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove worn out grout from between tiles in a stall shower? Do I need to grind it out of there? Is there a way to soften it up and then scrape it out?

Thank you.

Reply to
Stuart Benoff

there's a little tool you can get that helps grind it out, it's laborious. i dunno if a dremel or something would be applicable.

Reply to
roger61611

On larger gaps, I've had success with a utility knife.

Might work on the smaller grout lines in a shower.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

A pro told me to use a utility knife. It works ok. The special grout tools they sell are too thick.

Reply to
Art

I did mine with a dremel & a few bits. This is where I got the bits from:

Zzyzx

Reply to
Donald Mac Donald

Dremel tool has a special attachment for the purpose. I don't recall the diameter of the bit, so you would want to make sure it is not too big.

I removed old grout in our shower stall a few months ago using the Dremel. Worked great. There were a few tiles too close together to accomodate the bit, so it would jump out but didn't chip any tile. There had been no leaks, and the wall was solid - just developing a lot of little pinholes in the grout. Looks like new! I haven't tried a hand tool - grout saw? - but haven't got a lot of muscle.

Reply to
Norminn

I just did a grout removal in one of the baths in my house. I used a Fein Multimaster with a diamond disk make especially for grout removal. The disk vibrates back and forth (doesn't rotate as in a saw blade) and hence kept the dust to a minimum. This tool worked wonderfully. Wouldn't do another grout job without it. However, there is one drawback...it's a bit expensive....I think the Multimaster costs approx. $200.00 and the diamond disk another $50 or so. Well worth the investment, I think since the Multimaster does a superb job of sanding also.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

You want to remove it all? Hydrochloric acid. Read up on it before using.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

He just wants to remove some grout, not the tile, nails and plumbing fixtures :o)

Reply to
Norminn

There is a grout saw. It has a short round blade on it. No need to remove all the gout, an eight inch is enough for the new grout to grab onto.

Reply to
Phisherman