Grout / Mortar differences

Hi folks

What's the difference between mortar and grout?

The mortar I'm using for my ceramic tile in the shower (on Durock) is Versabond (got it at the Borg), grey color. It's made from cement, sand, and a latex or polymer modifier (the bag's down'stairs; not sure which modifier).

The grout I am considering looks to be made from the same ingredients, though I'm not sure about the proportions.

Is there any special reason the mortar and grout are separate products? Does the "grout" have some special compound or property that makes it better as a grout?

Please advise.

Thanks

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Portland products (mortar, grout, concrete, stucco, pool plaster or whatever) are like Mexican food. They all have the same basic ingredients. It is the subtleties of the types of aggregates and the additives along with the proportions. The safest policy is to just use a product for what it was mixed to be. In the case of bonding mortar vs grout it is the bonding agent and the size of the aggregates that set them apart. Grout is designed to flow, mortar sticks.

Reply to
Greg

Thanks for detailing this for me. My curiosity is officially sated. I will buy that bag of grout!

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Another example is brick work. Mortar goes between bricks but when doing a repair to a wall we found a large gap between the brick veneer and concrete basement foundation wall. Mason filled it with non-shrink grout.

Reply to
Art