Grout for metal building

I built one of the quonset hut type buildings that is getting to be so popular these days. I love the building. It is attached to the slab via a connector plate, and red head anchors into the slab. I was told by the building company to grout the area where the upright panels meet the connector plate and over the anchor, feathering the edge to the outside. This is the grout mixture recipe I was given.
Grout mixture
1/3 Portland cement 2/3 sand no rock.
In terms of acquiring this stuff, is it a Lowe's or Home Depot, or local lumber yard. Aren't there different kinds of sand? Any suggestions? The building is 34 x 20 feet. On each side there would be 17 "areas" to be grouted with a band of grout banded in between each "area" . Once it is grouted, should I seal it with something? Does the grout need maintenance or replacing every so often? Thank all Perry bentcajungirl
"bentcajungirl" wrote in message:

Darn Perry - you've been a busy swamp-girl lately! LOL! You can use the stuff at Lowes - but don't get the playground sand - get the mortar sand (no clay - clean.) After you've grouted it - use a high quality concrete sealer and don't be sparingly about it - cover it all. At the most - you'd have to re-seal once every few years. Send me a pic of this project - I'd like to see it. Or better yet - post it on abpf.
Jim
Hi Jim, I built the building about 2 years ago. Just never got around to grouting the connector plate. Siliconed it. But that's not a good thing. I am having some shifting, some of it from temperature and when it rains (constantly) I get some seepage. I'd posted a link to the house on the other ng, I'll see if I can find it and send it to you. We get a lot of people that stop and want to look at the building. It's exceeded my expectations. Perry bentcajungirl

<< I built the building about 2 years ago. Just never got around to grouting the connector plate. Siliconed it. >>
Silicone will prevent your grout from adhering wherever it has been used. At this point, you may be better off resealing it with a silicone. The failures you are experiencing are not the fault of the sealant, but lack of sealant in critical areas. Given a similar situation, I'd remove unbonded sealant, clean the areas with lacquer thinner, soap and water, and dry thoroughly to remove grease, etc. Resealing should then work quite well. Silicone sealants bond to old material very well and ought to deal with thermal shifts better than a grout. In areas where the sealant is absent, commercial mason mix from your lumber yard should be a decent grout. HTH
Joe
Thanks, Joe. Perry bentcajungirl

abpf ?
--JWW
alt.binaries.pictures.furniture A lot of the woodworkers post photos of their projects there. Perry bentcajungirl