Group Police

Page 2 of 2

I find it easy to not read posts which don't interest me for whatever reason. "Not looking" shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

So you think your topic is relevant to home repair? You'd be busted!!
I'm happy to see this group still active. Have you looked around Usenet lately?
The "neighbor" topics sure bring a lot of responses, always good for a chuckle.
In typed:

Not likely. You want a moderated group, or a forum if you need purity. Usenet has NO policing except the pressure from peers and that often as not draws out the trolls. WYSIWYG.
The only thing that helps in any way is to report miscreants to their own ISPs but parsing newsgroups is a lot different than with e-mail. And don't even bother to report it to ES; they just plain don't care and say so in the policies. They go so far as to dislike any complaints about abuse according to their policies.
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:28:21 -0700, camryguy wrote:

Skip over / delete what you don't like - sort of policing, without any peer review :-)
(Personally I don't mind OT messages - but I hate untrimmed replies* almost as much as I hate top-posters :-)
* and out of all the usenet ng's I regularly read, this one is way worse for that than any of the others. Never have been able to work out why!
cheers
Jules
<...snipped...>

Probably 50% or so of that is because of ONE particular prolific poster to the group. I won't name him but most regular readers probably know who it is.

camryguy wrote:

Kettle-Pot.
I notice you're posting from Google Groups.
You are either with us or with the terrorists.

1. Define 'irrelevant".
2. Some of the most interesting material is marked "OT". That should be easy for you to avoid.
HB
On 11/1/2010 4:31 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Hey baby, pull up that burka and show us your ankles! Woo Hoo! Um, this is alt.terrorist.hotties isn't it?
TDD

It doesn't matter if anyone agrees or disagrees. This is an unmoderated newsgroup. Posters are free to post whatever they like, on or off topic. People who prefer a moderated newsgroup are free to join or create one.

On 11/1/2010 11:28 AM, camryguy wrote:

Yes, your post is a perfect example.

I agree.
The only way to fix this group is to use a 3/8 x 24 left hand thread 45 watt 14 - 3 w/ground propane orifice epoxied to a plexiglass covered garbage disposal torsion spring.
That oughta do it.
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:28:21 -0700 (PDT), camryguy

You tell me who you want me to take care of (wink-wink) and I'll be happy to do it for you. Just remember, Andy only lets me have one bullet at a time... wait just a minute... are you that camryguy from Mt Pilot???
Son-of-a-bitch! Where's that darn bullet! I found it. Everybody duck, not you camryguy. You're under arrest for being a dipshit!

Why isn't your post subject marked "OT"? The content is irrelevent to home repair.

Maybe it's because the OP doesn't know how to spell OT.
If he did, he'd know to avoid all subject lines that start with OT so he wouldn't be bothered by them.
On 11/1/2010 9:04 PM, Red Green wrote:

Police are never around when you need them...
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:28:21 -0700, camryguy wrote:

No. Use a real news reader or find out if your google interface can filter posts.