Group Police

Page 1 of 2
I don't know about the rest of the users of this group, but there needs to be some sort of policing going on here. There is way too many posts about irrelevant topics being added. Anyone else agree?
camryguy wrote:

If you want a moderated group, it'll be somewhere else than a.h.r
On 11/1/2010 12:28 PM, camryguy wrote:

Most of usenet is not moderated, get used to it. Your usenet server, may or may not filter out some of trash.
Sometimes you can track SPAM back and do something about it, but for everything else OT, get used to it. A few unkind words is about all you got.
Jeff

Do like I do; if they really irritate you post a link to a counterpoint as a reply.

New here, huh?

No, but when I started using the group roughly a year ago, there was far less garbage than what i being posted now.
camryguy wrote:

More people are using Google now. To read/post.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

If by "garbage" you mean off-topic posts and not spam[1] (this isn't at all clear in your complaint), then here's an idea: how about *not reading* the off-topic posts?
It's not as if they're hard to spot; hell, 95% of them are identified as "OT:" right there in the subject header.
[1] If it's spam you're bothered by (which is actually relatively light in this group), then it's Google Groups (aka Big Fat Spam Portal) you want to take up that complaint with.

.
It is annoying to have to sift through all the garbage to find actual content. Google newsgroups has a 'mark as spam' button beside each thread, which I'm guessing, if it's pressed enough times, will prevent that topic from showing up on other people's readers.
John
alt.home.repair:

Unfortunately, it will not. Google totally ignores spam reports. As far as I can tell, the button is only there to make its users feel like they have some effect. But in practive, I've never seen Google remove a single spam, ever.
On 11/1/2010 4:46 PM, John wrote:

Google is not Usenet. A button on the Google web interface to their mirror of Usenet will have ZERO effect on posts made from other ISPs, and traveling about out in the cloud. And as somebody else posted, it also apparently has little effect to posts within Google, and does not prevent them from propogating out into the real Usenet.
Google Groups is to Usenet like FaceBook is to the Internet at large- a protected little playground that tries very hard to discourage you from wandering anywhere else.
--
aem sends...

It is annoying to have to sift through all the garbage to find actual content. Google newsgroups has a 'mark as spam' button beside each thread, which I'm guessing, if it's pressed enough times, will prevent that topic from showing up on other people's readers.
John
reply:
OR, as most people do, click into a thread titled "How to Seduce a Sheep", be totally offended, then gripe and gripe and gripe. Most of us have learned to use the little arrows, or simply ignore.
HTH, but I doubt it.
Why can't we just have a perfectly ordered society in every way?
Steve

No, but when I started using the group roughly a year ago, there was far less garbage than what i being posted now.
=== You're way new. I started sometime in the '90s.
You should get a real newreader and a newsgroup provider like eternal sept. I think you're using Google Groups and it really sucks.
The old newsgroup days are long gone but it has always been a land of chaos and that is part of the appeal.
Newgroup readers like Thunderbird and OE can easily filter crap. A few key words in the "Message Rules" and they are gone.
Spammers come and go and lately there have been a few sex adds that I've added filters for like "Naked" "Lohan" "Free" "Webcam".... You get the idea.
Jim
On 11/2/2010 12:17 AM, JimT wrote:

Newsgroups are like raising children....when there is a houseful of children, you "turn off the noise" - ignore it - but always hear the right kid making the right noise. It always irritated my husband that I could just shut out the noise, rather that make an effort to stop the noise :o) I have, more than once, slept through the smoke alarm screaming because whatever in the first firing of our furnace made it sound was not a threat. I have slept through room-mates trying to wake me for supper. My kids calling me softly always woke me immediately.
It always irritated my husband that I

I worked offshore for about eight years. At times, we worked 48 hours straight. We would be able to lay down right beside a noisy engine and go to sleep quickly and sleep for a short time. Then, when the engine shut off, it meant it was time to do some work, and the quiet would wake us up. For years after that, I'd jump up awake when my wife would try to wake me softly with a whisper. It sounded like there was a burglar in the house, and she didn't want to make any noise. After we collided foreheads a couple of times, she's just poke me with a broom handle or anything that would keep her out of reach and say, "Hey!" Used to piss her off to no end when I could lay down and be asleep in ten minutes, and she'd take a couple of hours. When you don't know the next time you'll be able to sleep, you learn to go to sleep fast.
Steve

When I was in the Coast Guard, and spent ridiculous numbers of hours in the Loran transmitter buildings, we would climb on top of the cases for the blower units for naps. They had rubber mats on top to protect them from tools and parts, so they were cushioned, and the hum and vibration would lull us to sleep.
As journeyman techs, we were so tuned in to the sounds of the building that any hiccup in the transmitters or other equipment would wake us up almost instantly.
I remember one time I was fast asleep while a newbie was working on the stand-by transmitter. He started to ramp up the 20KV power supply when I suddenly woke up and yelled "Shut it down!". To this day I don't know what I heard, but when we inspected the transmitter we found a loose bus bar on one of the huge oil filled capacitors. At 20KV it would have thrown a nasty arc and probably caused some serious damage.

:)
camryguy wrote:

What do you mean by "policing"?
Jon
On 11/1/2010 12:28 PM, camryguy wrote:

This is an unmoderated group. If you can't deal with it, join a moderated group or simply don't read OT posts.

Much better for the OP to police himself. He will not be disturbed and the pap will be abundant.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements /