grounding water pipe

Page 3 of 3
I think I am going to replace the first 6 feet of water pipe with plastic and invite the inspector back over.
Deans

building
within
be

Piss off the inspector and see how many things suddenly fail inspection..... Keep in mind the electrical inspector knows all the other inspectors and one little Nextel beep can cause you enormous amounts of grief.
Steve B.

Sorry, I think you have a moron; but as someone pointed out, he's the inspector. I put an addition on my house that removed one window from a bedroom. The remaining window provided only 90% of the required ventilation. Since the house had central AC that was pretty irrelevant, but I had to spend $500 to put in a window 2" wider. (Maybe a bribe would have been cheaper?) In otherwords, while I would ask him to specify the code section you are in violation of, you will probably have to put in a ground rod.
Greetings,
It's too bad you don't own your own property in (at least some parts of) America and you couldn't instead use the $500 to take your family on a nice weekend vacation.
William

in
I've never known of someone to go the trouble and expense of putting an addition on a property he didn't own while calling it "my house." Or is your point that toller isn't in the US and inspectors are less lenient where he lives?
%mod%
William Deans wrote:

of)
a nice

plastic
the
bedroom. The

Since the

$500
you are

toller wrote:

The

Since the

There may be more to the issue than ventillation. When I was replacing windows using Pella "replacement" windows, the inspector was interested in the sizes of the replacements because windows are a means of egress during emergency, like in a fire. I guess the idea is if the glass is smashed out by throwing a chair through the window, there needs to be enough of an opening through which to squeeze an American Fatt Butt lest it become an insurance statistic.
%mod%

Nope, the window has to actually open to count as a means of egress. Well, at least the lower sash does.
According to the 1997 Uniform Building Code (Sec. 310.4): "Escape or rescue windows shall have a minimum net clear openable area of 5.7 square feet (0.53 square meter). The minimum net clear openable height dimension shall be 24 inches (610mm). The minimum net clear openable width dimension shall be 20 inches (508mm). When windows are provided as a means of escape or rescue, they shall have a finished sill height not more than 44 inches (1118mm) above the floor."

replacing
interested
egress
is
be
Goedjn wrote:

height
height
OK, cool, thanks. So change that part about smashing the glass to opening the lower sash. At any rate the point stands that it's not just about ventillation. When a window is eliminated by a remodel, it probably gives the inspector authority to require that other items in the room be brought up to current codes.
%mod%

If you do that, he'll require you to install a bonding jumper around the plastic.
See point four in my earlier post, about not pissing off the inspector.

Article 90-4, paragraph 2: "The authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternate methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved..." It appears that the local inspection authority has decided that six feet is good enough.
It's also possible that an older version of the NEC said "six feet", not five, and this jurisdiction adoped that version and hasn't updated since.
Greetings,
What you say is true about him being able to give me six feet instead of five if he wanted to ... in this case I think it was probably a mistake.
William
PS: I am going away for a long weekend. If I cannot respond to more posts it doesn't mean I won't read them when I get back or that I have clamed up.
wrote:

within
be
five,