Grounding Rod (follow up)

I'm installing two 5/8 inch grounding rods six feet apart. The first one is in place. After trying everything to get the second rod in, I just couldn't get beyond 6 feet. Worse yet, I couldn't get it out.
Would two six foot grounding rods (right next to each other) be the equivilant of one eight foot rod? In other words, I'm thinking that I'll cut about two feet off the rod that's stuck, then put another 8 foot rod next to it. Assuming I can only go 6 feet with that one, I'd probably end up cutting two feet off that one two. Due to landscaping bushes and trees and an AC unit near by, I can't take advantage of the 45 degree angle idea. Also, I'm pretty limited in where I can put the rod and still be at least 6 feet away from the first rod (which was put in successfully).
What is the reasoning behind keeping grounding rods at least 6 feet apart?
Each ground rod is located where it maximizes performance. Two ground rods side by side would only connect to earth on the side away from other rod. Idea is that if a ground rod has 8 foot deep of effectively grounded surface, then next ground rod must be at least 8 foot away (horizontal) to provide any additional grounding effect. This is but a ballpark rule to make ground rods effective. Separating rods even farther will provide each rod with more contact to earth.
If cutting off top of one eight foot rod and installing a third full length rod, then install the third out somewhere at least six feet away from the other two.
Better that a rod is in earth so solid as to not be removable. The worst case opposite is a ground rod that rattles in earth. 'Loose in earth' rods suggest that current through rod was so great as to loosen rod. A loosened rod indicates that rod was not in sufficient contact with earth during a previous transient AND that rod is no longer in contact with earth.
Mark Wilson wrote:

Article 250.53(G) sez you can bury rod in a trench at least 30" deep, if you can not drive vertically or at 45 degree.
-don
You may have to find another location to put them in the ground if you can't get them both in